Chapter Twelve

My heart pounds along to the rhythm my feet travel. I paced in my room for about fifteen minutes until I made a decision in my mind. I was going to meet Alexander tonight and nothing was going to stop me. I don't know why I decided to, maybe because I'm sick of not doing anything. Sick of standing by and watching life slip through my fingers. Or maybe because I'm curious, really curious. Something about Alexander forces you to focus and pay attention. He's a demanding person that needs to be investigated.
The treeline comes into view and my heart stops. The moon is high in the sky lighting the path I need to take, but my feet come to a halt. Maybe this isn't a good idea. If Victoria found out, she would be even more heart-broken. Could I do that to her? Have Scott leave her and then she finds out that I was meeting Alexander in the woods in the dead of night? Well, it's not like we are doing anything we shouldn't be. I feel my cheeks heat up, we are definitely not doing something we shouldn't be. No, I am going and I am not going to regret it. I curl my hands into fists and march up the path into the woods. 
He's standing in the middle of the clearing, the moon beams surrounding him. He looked like a god standing there. His jaw line was etched by the moon and the scruff of his chin seemed to stand out a bit more. His eyes were closed as he tilted his head up towards the heavens. He seemed to be enjoying the quiet of the woods. He seemed at home, comfortable. He tilts his head to the right as if listening to the wind's voice.

"You know, staring isn't necessarily the nicest thing to be doing." My cheeks flame and his laugh starts a ripple effect so that when it reaches me I can't help but smile. 

"Some people like to be stared at."

"Ah yes, but those people are called actors and I, unfortunately for you, am not one." He walks towards me, his blue eyes illuminated by the dark green foliage behind him. He stands much taller than me so that when he comes to a stop before me, I have to lift my head up to meet his soft gaze. 

"Well, I hate actors." He laughs again and shakes his head. We stare at each other a moment, unsure of what to do. 

"Would you like to sit?" I nod my head and he leads me towards the fallen log. We sit in silence and listen to the woods around us. The crickets song matched the beat of the frogs in the distance. Nature's melody was something that can never be created by man. It was something that you only experience once, and it's in the dead of night when it thinks no one is listening. 

"I suppose you come with an answer?" He was quiet, almost scared. 

"Well, wouldn't you like to know?" I look over at him and realize he was watching me. I feel the hint of a blush and a small smile forms on his face. He really looked good when he smiled. 

"You haven't changed at all, you know that?" 

"What?" 

"Nothing." He looks back at the moon, "So, are we friends or not? Because I honestly don't think I can live another minute without you as a friend." He keeps his face pointed towards the sky but his eyes slide to mine. I smile and copy his stance. Folding my arms over my chest I too look at the moon. 

"Well, I gave it a lot of thought."

"Yes?"

"And my answer is no."

"Excuse me?" He sounded concerned. I look over and his face had fallen, he looked distraught. Taking that to my advantage, I leapt up from my seat and headed towards the center of the clearing. I spun around to find him watching me, his face was cast in shadows so I couldn't see the expression he was wearing, but I could feel it. His gaze was intense, piercing. It made me shiver and caused goosebumps to rise on my skin. 

"I've decided that you live too adventurously for my taste." I place my hands on my hips and watch him rise to the edge of the moonlight. 

"Is that so?" There's that smile.

"Yes. So, I think we need to take this whole friendship thing very slowly. It's strange for a prince and a servant to even be talking so, I think we need to be careful."

"Are you kidding?" He was walking towards me now, his piercing gaze holding mine. 

"Yes." I waited a moment, "No."

"Ah, I see. You're afraid of my good looks, that's what it is. You think you'll fall in love with me." He stopped a good five feet away, but his earthy scent filled my nose. It almost made me swoon, nothing had ever smelled so good. The moonlight played off the blonde streaks in his brown hair. The curls framed his face in such a way that it made his features stand out even more. He looked striking, stunning. Every inch of him was illuminated in such a way that he seemed angelic. I never thought I would ever think that of another human being, but Alexander in this moment under this moon looked downright angelic.

"Fall in love with you? Please, like that could ever happen." My heart was pounding.

"Isn't that what they always say in the stories?"

"Yes, but I'm sorry to say, this isn't a story. This is real life." I turn to walk away, but his hand clasps onto mine. Shivers spark up my arms raising the small hairs. I turn to look at our joined hands and by the surprised look on his face, I guess he wasn't expecting that either. He tugs on my arm and opens my hand up rubbing the small calluses that formed on hands.

"You have calluses?" The words form as if they hurt him as if he was shocked that such a thing could happen to me. His index finger traces each one gently, causing even more tingles to pool in my palm. Taking my hand back I place it in the pocket of my apron.

"Yeah, it helps with the pot." 

"The pot?"

"You see, I'm a leprechaun. Every time there's a rainbow, duty calls." He pauses and then lets his head fall back releasing a heart-warming laugh. It echoed through the woods causing all of Nature to stop singing to listen to him for a change. Once he quit laughing, I heard the frogs trying to mimic him.

"Well, whatever is at the end of the rainbow must be something worth finding." I freeze. That saying, I hadn't heard it in what felt like a lifetime. 

"What did you say?" He watches me curiously as if to see how I would react.

"Whatever is at the end of the rainbow must be something worth finding." The words carry me back, back into a lifetime I had almost forgotten, "Goodnight Mae. I'll see you tomorrow."