Chapter Twenty-Four

"Stay with me Mae, you're going to be okay."

"Oi! What are you doing?!"

"Liz, you need to get a doctor. Now."

-----

"I'm sorry Mae, I'm so sorry. I didn't think it would affect you this much." Warmth spreads through my hand and up my arm. I try to give an encouraging squeeze but my hand seems detached from my body. "It's going to be okay Mae. You're secret, it's safe with me."

-----

My eyes open to the chirping of birds. The light is almost to much to handle, but I welcome it. I hear a soft rustling sound and look over to see Liz's back to me. She turns and almost drops the pillow she holds in her hands.

"Mae!" She rushes over to the side of my bed grabbing my hand, the pillow laying forgotten on the floor. "'Ow are you feeling deary?" Her brown eyes are coated in concern. I look at her trying to think for a moment what she could be talking about, but it all comes rushing back. The forest, Lukas, the journal. Everything. My heart contracts and I turn to look at the window. The sky is a gray color today, perfect.

"I see. Well, deary, when you are ready, come downstairs and I will 'ave a nice, 'ot breakfast waiting for you at the table okay?" I nod my head in response still looking out the window. I hear Liz sigh and I feel a slight twinge of guilt. I can tell she's trying hard to keep it light, but I'm just not in it. I hear the door close and that's when I turn too move. I look around my room, at the familiarity of it all. I've been in the same room since I first moved here. Not once have I moved or even dreamt of moving. Pineridge was my whole life. I never thought of anything else. But now, I can't seem to stop thinking of other things. I can't get Lukas off my mind and the way he kissed me last night. I can't stop thinking of the way his arms felt around me, how safe I felt. Then there's my father. Why did he have to do the things he did? And what about my mother? Did she know the whole time? If so why?
Why? Why? Why?
The question circles my head making me dizzy. I put my face in my hands and I feel my chest starting to heave again.
No.
Not again, I'm not going to break down again. I jump out of my bed and dress for the day. Today is a normal day, a normal day where I'm going to clean Victoria's room and prepare for her arrival.
And there's another topic that I can't get out of my mind. How is Stephen? Has Victoria managed to kill him yet? Is he surviving with her? I shake my head, no thinking today just doing. I take a step forward and fall to the ground. I lighten my fall by grabbing onto the bed. My legs are shaky underneath me, whatever happened to me last night really took its toll. I take a deep breath and slowly stand.
I can do this.
I make my way downstairs carefully. I exit my bedroom door and am immediately faced with a long, dark stairwell. I take one step at a time, leaning on the wall for support. There are thirty steps in all and by the fifteenth I'm not sure I can make it. I stop for some breath. I continue, one step after the other. I hear Liz in the kitchen getting breakfast together and I begin to feel proud of myself. But not too soon, my knee gives out and I trip on the last step...and land in strong arms. I look up and see Lukas staring at me.
Of course.
I try to push him off, but he holds on tight. He scoops me up and carries me over to a chair. Gently, he sets me down and stands up not once taking his eyes off me.

"Found someone Liz!" His voice was excited, but his eyes told a different story. Last night took its toll on him too and by the looks of it, he didn't get any sleep.

"Ah, I knew you'd come around deary!" She turns with a plate full of fruits. I slowly stand to my feet. Lukas takes a step forward to help me, but I hold my hand out. I can do this. I don't need him.

"Thank you Liz, but I'm not hungry." I start to walk towards the door.

"What do you think you're doing?" Lukas asks. I turn to face him, my head high.

"I'm going to do my job. Liz, I'll be in Victoria's bedroom preparing for her return." And then I walk out.