Chapter Eight

Stephen and I headed back after spending an hour break in the forest clearing. For the rest of the day, I followed Liz around and helped her prepare the house for Prince Alexander. We dusted and moved furniture around, we swept and opened windows. We managed to stay clear of Alexander and Victoria although there were a few close calls. The cleaning helped me to relax and by the end of the day, I found myself where I began this morning, my journal open on my lap and my pen in hand. I took a deep breath and began to continue writing. 

May 5, 1801

I remember the day he tarnished my name. My father didn't care that he tarnished my name. It was a sunny day for a change. For the first time in my life, my mother decided to take me out to town. She called it a girl day and promised me a new dress and tea. I was so excited when the coach rolled up in front of our house. I had never been out of the walls of my castle, for nine years I hade been trapped inside. But today was new because for once I was allowed to see the world.

My mother and I sat opposite each other in the carriage and waited the hour long drive to town. We kept looking at each other and smiling because we were both excited. She kept reaching over and patting my knee in the motherly way only mothers are capable of doing. 

When we finally reached the town, I hopped down and came to a halt. It was a quiet town with not much bustle and buzz. But I enjoyed the quaintness of it. I loved the way the street was lined with small shops and the occasional person that passed glanced at me with a smile. I instantly fell in love with it and knew that it was going to be hard to leave later in the day. But I had now and I was bound to enjoy it. I turned to find my mother leap down from the carriage and she took a look around with a small smile.

"This is where your father and I met." She whispers to me. My smile grows and my heart swoons with excitement. She grabs my hand and we walk down the street to a small building called Ms. Elaine's Dresses and Garments. It was a blue building, the only colored building on the outside. But on the inside, I found it to be much more colorful. Fabrics lined the wall; greens, pinks, blues. They were arranged expertly and followed the pattern of a rainbow. 

"Hello, my darlings!" A woman's voice interrupts my awe gazing and I turn to find a large woman standing behind a counter that contained an assortment of sewing materials. She spread her hands out dramatically and said, "Welcome to Elaine's Dresses and Garments. I am Elaine! How can I possibly help such beautiful women today?" She almost sounded fake, but I instantly liked her. 

"We are getting Mae here a dress." My mother responded.

"Any special occasion?" 

"No, no special occasion. I just wanted her to have something special." Elaine's eyes moistened at that and she put her hand to her heart. 

"How special." She paused for a moment and then perked up, "I have just the color to match those lovely brown eyes." She rushes away into a back room leaving my mother and I staring at the walls. A few minutes later she returns holding a soft pink fabric in her hand. She ushers me onto a stool and begins to hum as she takes my measurements. 

"You know it must be the day of dresses. Another young girl was just in here with a woman picking out a green dress for a ball. I'm not sure where she's from but the young girl was absolutely beautiful. But I might say, Mae here just might beat her in looks." At that, she reached up and pinched my cheek. I offered a smile as Elaine continued her work. She wrapped the cloth around me in different ways and pulled my hair up to see how it would look with an updo. The meantime my mother watched with a large smile on her face that was contagious. After a long process that contained a few pricks from a pin, my mother and I were back on the sidewalk headed to tea. 

"Was that fun?" My mother's hand squeezed mine.

"Yes, but when will I get the dress?" 

"Oh, it will take a few weeks. She wants to make sure it's perfect for my little angel." She bent over and planted a kiss on my head. I smiled and looked over across the street at a younger girl my age. She must have been the one Elaine was talking about because she was really pretty. I noticed a tal woman holding her hand very similar to the way mother held mine. Suddenly a smile lit up her face as she looked further down the sidewalk at another figure coming towards them.

"Daddy!" The little girl shouted and ran to her father. He got low and held his arms out wide and caught the little girl. He spun her around and brought her into a hug. The woman came over to him and he kissed her. They were a happy family, together and whole. I never notice that I was running towards them, or that my mother was calling my name. All I remember thinking was that girl was wrong. That wasn't her daddy, that was mine.