Magic Spawn: Chapter 52

by Meredith Skye

* ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ *

Rian, Aldena, Ehina and Daren piled into the police station. Daren slammed and locked the front door, glancing out the window up the road to the east as if expecting the corrupted humans to race down the road any moment.

Battle wights.

Aldena found a first aid kit and helped bandage Ehina. "This should hold it awhile," she said.

"Rian, come in, over," said Edward on the radio.

"This is Rian, go ahead."

"Everyone's gone over to Harlan's Hobbies, but we can't find Haley and Anya. Are they with you?" asked Edward.

"No," said Rian, glancing over at Aldena, who turned to listen. "They're not here."

"Harlan's been looking everywhere for them. They came over here with us but he's afraid they've gone off with the video camera again."

"Sorry, I'll keep an eye out," said Rian. "Be careful. We have three more Battle Wights, like Westin, though I think we killed one of them."

"That's just great!" said Edward, not sounding pleased. "All right, we'll watch for them. We split into pairs and we're patrolling the streets. We'll let you know if we see anything."

Finally, Edward had done something useful. Rian smiled. "Copy that. Thanks."

The dispatch officer, Frank Martin, stood and came over. "What's up? How did it go?" He looked uncertain. "Where's the Chief?"

Daren gave him a miserable look. "I do not understand what is happening here! This town has gone crazy!"

Frank just stared at him.

"The Chief is ... I don't know. Rian and Aldena were right. There's some magic at work here. Get me the trooper office."

"Hey, it's Rian," said Vernon. He and Jesse sat in a holding cell along the wall.

In the cell next to them sat a shifty looking dark-haired man with a mustache who looked like he hadn't washed in days.

"Tell them we're not high," said Vernon, winking at Rian, but obviously high.

"And I am not drunk," said the dark-haired man from the other cell.

"Yes, and Mervin here, he's not drunk or high," said Jesse.

"We've been framed," agreed Vernon. "Right?" he looked over at Jesse for support.

"Yeah, this is bullshit! We should move to Alaska!" said Jesse.

"Shut up!" said Daren, pacing a bit.

"There's no answer," said Frank, on the phone.

Daren pulled out his cell and made a call. "Hello, yes, this is Daren Ganson from Millersfield police department and I need to talk to the person in charge." He paused. "No, I know that Officer Santo is over here. Is there anyone else in charge there? We've had an incident."

"Say, officer, what is going on?" asked Mervin. He was just a little drunk.

Vernon leaned forward to explain it to his fellow prisoner. "Some crazy, son-of-a-bitch Harry-Potter impersonator and his skeleton friends kidnapped poor Rian's Mom and his weird little brother," said Vernon, upset. "Probably from the next town over," he added waving vaguely.

"They think that just because it's Halloween they can drink it up and come over here and terrorize people," Jesse said, sagely.

"Oh, I see," said Mervin, as though that explained everything. "Those bastards!"