Magic Spawn: Chapter 77

by Meredith Skye

* ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ *

 When Molan's menagerie of monsters faded at a single spell cast by the aqua-silver haired Arlunni named Emmara, a sense of hope returned to Rian. Before he had even had time to think he jumped to his feet and ran over to the aqua-haired woman.

At his sudden movement, her sisters (and they had to be sisters because all three had features that were almost exactly alike) reacted by raising their swords, as if they feared an attack.

Were they sisters or a projection of Emmara? If not, they had to be triplets.

Rian stopped suddenly. His own sword lay on the ground and he had no weapon. "Please," he said, addressing the woman who called herself Emmara. She must be in charge. "You have to help my brother Kyran!"

"Who is this?" Emmara demanded.

Now Ehina came forward. "The one I told you about."

Emmara cast her gaze around the field, spotting Aldena who stepped forward towards the aqua-haired woman. "I am Aldena Jade—and this is my nephew, Rian. Son of Dayle Edwin Corey."

At this, Emmara nodded solemnly, as if she recognized the name. The significance of this was lost on Rian right now, though. All he could think about was Kyran.

"We welcome you, Aldena Jade," said Emmara. She returned her attention to Rian. Her sisters relaxed and put away their weapons.

"Over here," Rian drew her back over to Kyran. She followed, as did her sisters. Though they put their swords away, sensing the danger was over.

Rian knelt by Kyran's side. "Can you heal him somehow?" It seemed impossible, but the woman, Emmara, had already done great magic. Perhaps it was within her power. "When Molan died, he did too," said Rian.

She stared down at the pale figure of Rian's brother. "Of course," said Emmara. "All magic-spawn are linked to their masters." She stared at Rian with ice blue eyes. "He was a mere construct--not a living being. His passing is not to be mourned."

"That's not true!" said Rian hotly. "He was my brother. You didn't know him. He fought back against Molan in the end!"

Emmara raised her eyebrows. "Indeed?" She stared down at Kyran again, intrigued. "That is highly unusual."

Both Ehina and Aldena had joined them. "Molan used Dayle Edwin Corey to create the magic-spawn. And it's possible that he has some sort of soul," said Ehina.

"Of course he has a soul!" snapped Rian. "He wasn't even wounded! He can't be dead. Can't you do something for him?" He glanced from the tall, slender Emmara back to his Aunt Aldena.

Emmara drew closer and knelt next to Kyran. She closed her eyes and touched Kyran's forehead. Her brows knit together as though reading his thoughts and looking deep inside his body. She looked up at Rian in surprise.

"There is a fragment of a human soul left in here," she said, looking over at Aldena. She nodded back to Emmara, as though somehow giving her permission.

"Well?" asked Rian anxiously.

The Arlunni warrior hesitated. "I can try," she said. Then with both hands, she touched Kyran's chest and her hands glowed with a soft blue light. Then she touched his forehead for a long moment, her hands glowed again. Almost, Rian feared that it wouldn't work, that Kyran was too far gone. A moment later, Kye gasped for breath.

"I've done what I can. I've broken the mind-link," Emmara said. "For good or ill."

Now Rian bent over Kyran and took his hand. "Come on, Kyran. Wake up!" He touched his face, which was still cold and pale. But slowly some warmth returned. A moment later, Kyran's eyes opened and gave Rian a weak smile.

Kyran looked up at Rian. "Mom?" he asked. At the mention of her name, Lauretta moved closer, kneeling near the boy.

"She's fine," said Rian, worried about his little brother. "You saved her."

The boy looked up at Lauretta, with a faint smile. "Mom?" he said. There was a tear in his eye. He sat up shakily.

"Kyran!" Lauretta said, not daring to believe that he was back. She moved as if to hug him, but she hesitated for the smallest moment, taking a deep breath. Still afraid of him?

Kyran brushed away a tear. "I'm crying," he observed. "I don't usually do that."

Now his mother hugged Kyran tightly. "I'm so glad you're safe," she whispered. At this, Kyran smiled.

The sisters withdrew, leaving Rian alone with Kyran and his mother.

As they walked away, one of the sisters whispered to Emmara. "I sincerely hope that this will not be an action we all regret. The Matrizar must be told," she insisted.

"The Matrizar will not approve," added the third sister.

"Perhaps not," agreed Emmara somberly.

As Aldena approached them, they fell silent. She joined them in some quiet discussion, leaving Rian a chance to talk to Kyran.

"You all right?" asked Rian. Some color had returned to the boy's cheeks but he still looked pale and worn out.

"I think so," said Kye. He sat there looking a little lost, like the ten year old boy that he should be—no longer a magic-spawn.

Or was he?

"What do you remember?" In truth, Rian hoped that Kyran would have no memory of the events that happened.

Kye shrugged. "I remember talking to Molan and his threats against Mom. But after he ... he ... went into my head. After that ... it all gets fuzzy."

"But you remember some things?"

Kye sat silently, the way he did when he was troubled. "I remember... random things--things I did; some things that must be memories of Molan's. It's hard to tell the difference."

Rian stared at the boy; he looked so young. His little brother's eyes were full of regret. "I do remember ... what it felt like to have all that power," His brother continued, looking guilty. "I wanted it."

The wizard had used Kyran to cast painful spells on Rian, as a means of revenge. "I think I enjoyed it," said Kyran. He looked down, ashamed. "I'm sorry."

Rian took his hand lightly. "You were in Molan's power; you had no choice." Still the boy wouldn't look up. "I'm sorry I tried to kill you," said Rian quietly. "I didn't see any other way to stop the wizard." They sat there for a moment without saying anything, Kyran's hand in his. "In the end," said Rian, "you made the right choice."

Kye looked up suddenly. "I don't want to be a magic-spawn!" The look in his eyes was determined. "I just want to be normal—like you."

Rian touched Kye's hair. He wanted to say that of course he would be normal. But the words wouldn't come out. "You didn't let Molan hurt Mom," he said at last.

The thought cheered Kyran. "True."

"I'm just glad you're all right," said Rian. He squeezed Kyran's hand and let it go. It was hard to dispel the image of Kyran wielding unlimited power fueled by the evil wizard Molan. What would become of his little brother? At least the wizard would not be coming back after him again.

Could Kyran continue to live a normal life—not that he'd ever really been "normal." Would he be safe attending Millersfield Elementary School? What chance was there of a regression?

Or would Kye always be a magic-spawn?

Troubled, Rian got up and left Kyran with his mother. She had already put her arm around the boy's shoulders.

Rian had many questions. But now that the Arlunni were here, they could help.

_________________________________

Your continued support means the world to me! Click "vote"

and don't forget to visit my author website:

http://meredithskye.weebly.com