Magic Spawn: Chapter 38

by Meredith Skye

* ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ *

 The campground looked quiet but there was a coroner van parked next to the pavilion. Rian and Aldena stayed behind a tree, watching and listening, but they heard no sounds and the pavilion was dark. After a few moments, they ventured towards the pavilion and looked inside.

A man sprawled dead, staring up at the ceiling. He had on a city uniform—probably a coroner, or at least someone to pick up the body. There was a hole in one of the walls where something had hit it with such force that the canvas walls had torn apart. Spatters of blood covered the wall.

Westin was nowhere to be seen.

"We're too late," said Aldena.

Rian looked around in despair. As if they didn't have enough to deal with already. "Where would he go?" asked Aldena.

"I don't know," said Rian.

"We should warn someone," she said.

"They'll think I did it! I am not going to jail, not now, not with mother and Kyran missing!"

"I agree," said Aldena, calm despite the concern in her eyes.

Rian pulled the two-way radio from his pocket. "Grandma Baggins, are you there?" He paused, waiting. The radio crackled a little.

"Is that you, Rian?" came back a voice. It was Zane.

Rian paused. He had no desire to talk to Zane right now, not after what he pulled. "Yes."

"What do you think you're doing? They're out looking for you."

"Thanks to you."

Silence on the other end.

"I have bad news," said Rian. "Westin's body is gone and there are two dead officers here at the pavilion. Looks like we should have burned him after all. I think he's re-animated."

"Is this a joke?" came Zane's voice over the radio.

"No. I'm serious. We should search for him. He's strong and fast and he's already killed two people."

The radio crackled as someone jumped into the conversation from another radio. "This is Edward. Hey, I'm the Steward—"

"Shut up!" said Zane before Rian could say it. "Listen, the police and the troopers are handling this. We've sent people out to get the trick-or-treaters off the street. Everyone else are looking for Haley and Anya. We're over at Bernard's Burgers, though he's shut it down."

"And you think the police can handle this? They have no idea what they're up against."

"Neither do we," came Zane's voice.

"We should form patrols, maybe in pairs," said Rian. "Watch for an attack."

"Shouldn't you turn yourself in?" asked Zane.

"Not happening," said Rian. "Over and out."

"I copy."
 Rian looked over at his aunt. "Now what?" he asked.

"We should report it to the police," said Aldena.

Rian stared at her. "Are you kidding?"

It only took a few minutes to call on the radio from the coroner's car. Rian ignored the demands for his name and further details, just that two men were dead at the campground.

Once he was done, they hurried back towards town before the police showed up to investigate.

__________________________________

Thanks for reading. If you liked this, please click vote!