Magic Spawn: Chapter 63

by Meredith Skye

* ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ *

 The graveyard had grown quiet. Haley pulled her grey, knit sweater tighter around her. The dank night air showcased their breath and the wind blew around them. The two girls still sat in the tree, watching the relentless victories of Molan's army of the undead. A heavy mist threatened to obscure their view of the crypt.

"This is a disaster," muttered Anya, from where she perched uncomfortably in the tree.

"Oh, no," said Haley, looking through the binoculars. "They've got my Mom and Zane and Rian!"

Anya looked over at her. "I'm sorry." Scarcely anything had moved in this section of the graveyard for a half an hour. "What about Ray and Edward?"

"Yes, I saw them too. They're alive. I don't see my Dad. Maybe he got away."

"Whose left?" asked Anya. "What about Bernard?"

"He was fighting on the other side of the hill. I haven't seen any of them yet."

Anya nodded. Haley got out the radio. "Grandma Baggins, do you read, over?" She waited a moment. "Aldena? Daren? Come in."

Haley looked at Anya. "What are we going to do?" She played with her knit cap, nervously--taking it off and putting it back on at a slightly different angle.

Anya indicated the Old Mill. "I've seen them taking more prisoners to the Mill. A lot of prisoners."

"So, they'll just turn them into zombies or skeletons or whatever," said Haley. "And they'll be even more of them to fight."

A thought dawned on Anya's face. "No, not without Kyran they won't."

"He's on the hill with Molan."

"Yes," said Anya. They looked at each other. "We have to get Kyran away from him."

"Right," said Haley exasperated. "But we just threw everything we had at them and failed."

They stared at each other, discouraged. Anya glanced around the graveyard. "It's clear now. Let's get out and see if we can find any of the others. Make a plan."

Haley nodded. They both scrambled down.

* * * * * * * * *

The dark deserted town lay silent as Haley and Anya made their way through the streets. Windows had been smashed in and doors left ajar—signs of attack by Molan and his creatures. Signs of resistance.

"Did they get everyone?" asked Anya, in wonder.

"I don't know," said Haley. She shivered.

They made their way to the police station. The door was open wide. Inside the place was deserted. Papers lay all over the floor and chairs were overturned. Looked like they'd had a fight here.

The girls stared at the place with disappointment.

Then a sound came over the radio. Haley pulled it out. "Haley, Anya. Come in, over. Haley, do you read me?" The voice on the other side sounded desperate.

"Dad—is that you?" asked Haley, brightening up.

"Haley? Thank goodness! I was so worried."

"You're okay?" smiled Haley.

"Yes. We're at the Comic shop. Can you make it over here?"

"On my way," said Haley. She put the radio away.

The girls ran almost the entire way there. Luckily, they didn't run into any skeletons or zombies.

Once inside the comic stores, she saw her dad. Harlan ran over and gave her a big hug. "I saw Mom, over at the crypt. He's got her!"

"I know," said Harlan. "I was afraid of that. He's got a lot of the others."

"What are we going to do?" asked Haley.

"Aldena and Daren are on their way over," said Harlan.

Haley nodded. Grandma Baggins was there at the comic shop, along with some of the younger ones that didn't go into battle: Asher, Austin and Trent.

"Here dears," said Grandma Baggins. She gave Haley and Anya each a cup of hot tea. "All I have are crackers and cheese," she said apologetically. The girls dug in hungrily.

"Thanks," said Anya.

After a quick snack, Haley went over to a table and got out her camcorder.

"What ya' doing?" asked Anya, trailing after her. It was almost like having a little sister. Haley smiled, warmed by the thought.

"It's time for an update to the Goldenrod Gazette," said Haley, with a grin. "Help me set up the camera."

"Yes!" said Anya.

They got to work.

__________________________________

Thanks for reading. If you liked this, please click vote!