Magic Spawn: Chapter 33

by Meredith Skye

* ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ *

The path wound through the graveyard, away from Molan's crypt. Cautiously, Ehina followed it as it sloped gently down a hill and to the East. After a few minutes, she heard the sound of water, perhaps a stream in the distance. Was this the edge of the cemetery?

Now and then she stole a glance behind her into the darkness. The feeling she was being followed made the hair stand up on the back of her neck. But though she waited quietly, she saw nothing behind her.

Had to be her imagination. She had to get ahold of herself! She represented the Arlunni on this world. No Enforcer would show fear! If she was going to become a real Enforcer—she had to earn it!

The fog had receded some, but it was still pretty dark. She finally came up against a rusting iron fence. One which wouldn't have kept anything out--simply a border to the land. She could hear the river, down the steep bank ahead of her. The river seemed to come from in the direction of the city on one hand and the crypt on the other—no doubt ending at the lake.

Perhaps Ehina should double back to follow Rian. He said there were others, some sort of army. Maybe they did have a chance to fight Molan—but they might need her help ... if they would accept it. But then she saw a light off to the right, back towards the city, but it looked as if it was on the river.

Ehina wondered at the light. Perhaps it was part of the city, but somehow she thought not. It was lower down and along side the river. Curiosity overcame her and she decided to go a little closer to see what it might be. She might learn something they could use.

She followed the iron fence for awhile. Then she climbed over it when she reached the edge of the cemetery. Now she could see the place better. There was an old stone building. It almost looked like a castle from here. And there were figures moving around near it. More townsfolk, perhaps? Or was this Molan's work?

A small country road ran along the river and up to the stone building. Taking a deep breath, Ehina decided that she'd go investigate. By the dim light she made her way down to the disused gravel road.

Keeping close to the river and behind trees, she managed to avoid being seen by anyone. So she hoped. Again Ehina thought she heard movement behind her on the road, but saw nothing. After waiting awhile, she inched forward, towards this building.

On the side, it had a large stone tower that stood above the rest of the building. Although the building looked like solid stone, she realized that it was crumbling. This large building used to be three stories high. The windows had been broken out in many places. The place was a ruin. As the view unfolded, she saw a large wooden wheel on on the river, connected to a smaller stone building. The tower was a silo. The place was an old mill, long disused from the looks of it.

However, now there was activity. Three figures patrolled the main door of the mill. The dim light and fog made it difficult to see them clearly, but they were humanoid.

A light shone from inside the building. Unusual, since almost all the lights in the city were out, as Ehina remembered. These men seemed to be waiting for something ... or someone.

Ehina felt that if she stayed hidden in this small grove of bushes near the river, that she might find out more about this mysterious gathering. Time moved slowly. Part of her wanted to go back to the crypt; sneak into it and look for a gateway back to her own world. She didn't have time to waste. Still, this could be important.

Minutes dragged by and three more hooded figures appeared, this time, guiding a handful of townsfolk. A woman and three men. Their movements were slow and lethargic. She wondered what was wrong with them.

As her eyes adjusted to the scene, she managed to get a glimpse under the hood of one of the men. What she saw left her cold.

The dead eyes. The grey faces. The stiff movements.

These creatures were undead of some sort, zombies perhaps. Molan had used them in the past many times. Years ago, he had attacked the worlds of Cathal, mainly Chuness and Jarlan. The destruction was terrible. The people had to set guards on the graveyards to keep him from raiding them to increase him armies. And all the dead on the battlefield were raised to serve him.

The monster Molan could not be allowed to run free again or more would die.

Just then, Ehina heard movement along the trail. She looked up and saw a procession of four skeletons carrying a coffin, followed by the evil necromancer, Molan. With him walked the boy, Rian's brother Kyran, as if he had no will of his own. His gaze rarely deviated—looking at whatever Molan looked.

Ehina could feel Molan's power, even in this world. She shivered in repulsion. She would stop this necromancer!

Behind him came two more skeletons, armed with spears. One carried a torch. Following them came four more skeletons carrying a second coffin. Had they plundered a grave?

As they passed by, Ehina pressed herself against the tree, afraid that somehow they'd see her standing there. She scarcely dared to breathe for fear they'd hear. The last thing she wanted to do was to fall prey to the wizard.

__________________________________

Thanks for reading!

Come listen to my radio interview from October 2015!

THE SPECULATIVE FICTION CANTINA:

LINK: 

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/writestream/2015/10/30/the-speculative-fiction-cantina-with-meredith-skye-and-t-eric-bakutis