Magic Spawn: Chapter 53

by Meredith Skye

* ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ *

What next?

They had two dead battle wights here at the police station. Only two police left: Daren and Frank. And Frank was just a clerk.

"We should go patrol the streets," said Rian. "Edward said there are zombies attacking the town."

"Shouldn't we call in some back up first?" asked Frank.

"I tried that—they didn't believe me," frowned Daren. "I think we're on our own."

"Rian, come in, over," came a voice on the radio. It was Zane.

"This is Rian."

"We've killed nearly ten zombies in the last 10 minutes. We've seen others taking prisoners from houses. They're headed back in the direction of the Old Mill. Can't get them all. Did you get the Battle Wights?"

"Yes," said Rian.

There was a pause and then Harlan came on the radio. "Did you burn the bodies this time?"

"What? No," said Rian. "You mean the Battle Wights?"

"Yes."

Shit.

"I think you should do that."

"Copy that. Rian out."

Before they could consider how to do that, Mervin's body stirred.

"Oh, no," said Ehina.

Mervin sat up. His joints were a bluish purple and his torso looked stretch—thicker, stronger, taller than before. His eyes glowed red. Slowly, he got to his feet and growled.

"Too late," said Aldena, drawing her sword. Rian drew his.

Ten or fifteen minutes later, the Mervin Battle Wight was dead. At least ... for the moment.

"You stay here and burn the bodies," said Rian.

Daren hesitated but he didn't argue. "All right."

"I'm going to go help Edward and the others."

"We should evacuate the people from town," said Aldena. "They're vulnerable in separate houses."

Rian could see the reluctance in Daren's eyes. "Yes," he said. "We could gather them here to the police station, though, it may be too small."

"Too close to the graveyard," said Aldena.

"Maybe the movie theater," said Rian. It was on the other side of town.

"Or the hospital," piped up Frank.

"Yes," said Daren. "The hospital's a solid building and large. Probably more defensible. And it's an important resource."

"We can't keep fighting Molan's minions. We need to kill the wizard," said Ehina. "Otherwise, he'll keep summoning more undead to fight us with."

"And who is this?" asked Daren.

"Ehina, she's from another world," explained Rian.

"Huh, was all that Daren said.

"She's right," said Aldena. "Something must be done or we'll never win this fight."

It was true. They couldn't keep up this level of combat. Molan kept doubling his army—and they had little help. They would be overwhelmed soon.

"Right," said Rian. "But first, we'll get the people to safety. That will help."

"Let's go," said Daren. Rian & Ehina followed him out.

Outside, it was worse than Rian thought.

More and more zombies and skeletons were coming from the graveyard and attacking homes in town. Rian, Ehina and Aldena killed four or five of them on their way to meet up with Edward, who was over near the town hall with Ray, fending off zombies and skeletons making their way from the Old Mill.

"There you are," said Edward. "Must have killed a dozen by now. They keep coming!"

"We had to kill the police chief, his lieutenant and one of the troopers," said Rian. "They turned into Battle Wights. Those things are wicked!"

"The chief?" Edward shook his head.

"Have they taken many more prisoners?" asked Aldena.

"Some. We haven't been able to kill them all."

Rian nodded. "We're going to send people over to the hospital. Daren will try to protect them there."

"All right," said Edward. "I don't know how long we can hold them off here."

"Which direction are they coming from?" asked Rian.

"Everywhere!" said Ray.

"All along Ashlake Drive," answered Edward. "From the up at the campground, from the main graveyard gates, down near the train depot and down the road to the Old Mill."

"So, everywhere," agreed Rian.

"Every damn where," said Ray.

They needed a plan. If they didn't act soon, Molan and his army of the undead would be too powerful to stop.

"Let's concentrate on getting everyone over to the hospital. We can go door to door, starting on the south side. Then we'll have less area to guard. Keep the main fighters along Ashlake Drive to keep the zombies out. Anyone who doesn't fight can go help warn others in the neighborhood."

"Right," said Edward.

"We're going to have to attack the crypt," said Aldena.

"I know," said Rian, thinking.

"It won't be enough," said Ehina. This was Rian's fear. They didn't have enough firepower to succeed. If only they had time to get help from out of town. The army maybe. "The time will come when you have to make a choice," she said ominously. She was talking about Kyran.

Rian scowled at her. "We have other options!"

"Do we?" she asked.

"We need to come up with a strategy," said Aldena. And it would have to be some strategy, Rian thought grimly.

__________________________________

Thanks for reading. If you liked this, please click vote!