Magic Spawn: Chapter 60

by Meredith Skye

* ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ *

A pleasant, cool breeze stirred the musty, dead leaves on the top of the hill. Silent, ominous clouds covered the sky. The wind carried the comforting sounds of battle with it from all sides of the old graveyard, though fog made the Human Unfortunates difficult to see.

But the battle in front of the-Spawned-One held less interest for him right now than searching through the treasured memories of his mind. The necromancer, Molan, had filled the empty places. Years and years of experience, emotion and learning. But even the rich, enlightening pureness of knowledge was not the thing that the-Spawned-One now sought.

The Inconsistency continued to puzzle him. The one who now led the attack on Molan. An enemy to Molan. But a friend to She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Harmed. What had Molan done with the woman named Lauretta? This was one piece of information that Molan had hidden from him. Despite access to many of Molan's memories, he couldn't discover what had happened to her.

Something was not right.

Now, the Inconsistency struggled up the hill towards the-Spawned-One. He waited patiently for him. The Inconsistency liked to talk--about dogs and Christmas ornaments ... about Lauretta. Perhaps the-Spawned-One would learn more about this puzzle.

He glanced over at Molan, but the wizard was occupied with the other humans. Satisfied, the-Spawned-One waited while the human made his way up the hill. Molan had prepared a spell for this one and the-Spawned-One held it in his hand, ready to cast. But there was still time.

Meanwhile, the-Spawned-One pondered the idea of snowflakes and a dog that gave kisses. As the human got closer more memories opened up: reading at bedtime, playing with toy swords, a fluffy, black kitten. Somehow the Inconsistency was a nexus of old memories. Almost, the-Spawned-One could remember the human's name, but still it eluded him.

He focussed on Lauretta. Now her face was clearer. She wore a blue dress. Her skin was smooth, her hair long. She looked at him and told him to go to bed. But he sensed something else too ... fear. He had seen her somewhere, but where?

The-Spawned-One mulled over these memories.

But the human had arrived, carrying his sword loosely in his right hand. Perhaps the-Spawned-One would learn more before launching his spell. The human Inconsistency stopped in front of him. He paused only a moment, as though about to speak, his face hauntingly familiar. But the-Spawned-One saw him make a decision, he raised his sword, aiming a killing blow at the-Spawned-One--with death in his eyes.

Betrayal!

The-Spawned-One wasn't sure why this hurt.

He reached into the human's mind and stopped him with a mind-snap. Then standing there face to face, the-Spawned-One finally remembered his name. He said it out loud.

"Rian."

It happened all in an instant. Rian's face turned from surprise to horror--staring at him. Anger at this human welled up inside the-Spawned-One. As the anger rose, he cast the spell, hitting Rian and knocking him unconscious to the ground.

Inconsistency solved.

Not a friend, then.

The-Spawned-One turned and walked away, back to the more interesting parts of the battle.

_________________________________

Thanks for reading!

Come find me on twitter!

http://twitter.com/meredithskye

@meredithskye