Magic Spawn: Chapter 79

by Meredith Skye

* ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ *

 The loss of Haley weighed heavily on Rian. He couldn't believe she was gone, fallen down some crevice in Molan's cave. Anya's eyes held a touch of guilt, as if it was somehow her fault. She stared at Rian, maybe looking for forgiveness.

But he couldn't answer her. He turned away, and she touched him on the arm. "Rian—"

"Leave me alone!" he said, pulling away from her. He didn't mean to be so harsh. The 13 year old girl could hardly be blamed for what had happened, but Rian couldn't talk about it right now. He moved away from everyone else before, then stopped to think.

They'd lost so much in the last day, since Molan's attack. All of the hatred he could summon for the necromancer wouldn't make him any more dead, nor would it bring back Haley—yet he had to fight to hold it back.

Rian wished that Kyran had never awoken Molan, but wishing didn't make it so. All at once, all the fatigue, worry, and effect of all the wounds he'd received overwhelmed him. He realized he was exhausted. Now, he just wanted to rest.

Aldena, who had been standing talking quietly with Emmara and Ehina, took notice of Rian and came over to him.

"Are you all right?" she asked.

"Not really," he said.

For a moment, there was silence between them, but Aldena didn't leave.

"That story, about the brother and sister who fell through to Earth—you're the sister, then?" said Rian, looking at Aldena.

"Yes," nodded Aldena. "And your father was the brother."

At this, Rian nodded. At the back of his mind, he had realized this, but hearing it said out-loud still jarred him.

"Does this mean that you'll go with them, back to Cathal?" Rian asked his aunt.

"Yes," she said. "After all, it's my home. Come with me. It could be your home too." He felt a bit of a thrill at the thought. A whole new world—what would it be like? A feeling of excitement overrode his fatigue.

There was one question that hung above it all. What about Kyran? What would happen to him? He glanced over at his brother, leaving the question unspoken, but Aldena followed his gaze.

"You know that he can't stay here," his aunt said sternly.

Numbly, Rian nodded.

Of course, Kyran couldn't stay. If anything happened to him, how would Rian deal with it? If any of Molan's powers were still locked inside Kyran's mind somehow. What would they do with him? Rian wanted to ask, but he was afraid to. He didn't think he'd like the answer.

"What if we get some sleep first?" said Rian, not sure how long he could go on. He just wanted to rest.

Aldena shook her head. "I'm sure that the Guardians of Arlunn won't want to wait. There are too many things that can go wrong, and they are far from the center of their power. Far from Cathal. Don't worry. We'll sleep once we're home. Once we're safe."

Home.

Of course this other world had been home to Aldena. She'd been born there, her family was still there. Is that what she'd been doing for the last few decades—traveling the world in search of a way home?

And there was nothing keeping Rian here anymore ... now that Haley was gone. In fact, staying here might hurt more than anything, knowing he'd never see her smile again.

"All right," said Rian, resigned. A new world ... a new beginning.

Aldena knew these people—knew more about these worlds than he did. It was hard to argue. Anyway, if they stayed here he might end up behind bars. "We'll go," Rian decided at last.

Aldena nodded and turned to go back and talk to the Arlunni. No doubt there were a lot of details to discuss.

But what about his mother, Lauretta? Rian hadn't really asked her about any of this yet. Surely, she would agree that Kyran had to leave here ... after all that had happened. He stole a glance at her. She stood still, partly turned away, looking like a princess in her blue Halloween dress. She listened to them, her face pale with worry.

Had mother ever forgiven Kyran for being the cause of Corey's death?

As Rian walked over there, Kyran stood and their mother turned to listen. Both looked expectant.

"Aldena has offered to take us back to Cathal with her, and I think we should go," Rian said, mainly talking to Kyran. He didn't think they'd give Kyran a choice on this, but he didn't say it.

Now he glanced at his mother, hoping she wouldn't object. She looked torn. Cathal had never been her home; she was from Earth. Would she be happy there, away from her other friends and family? On the other hand, would she accept being separated from Rian and Kyran ... or would it be a relief to her?

"Mother?" he asked, waiting.

She swallowed, hesitating to speak. "Of course," she agreed, but it wasn't heartfelt. She had reservations.

"We're going to Cathal?" said Kyran, looking pleased.

"Yes," said Rian, when Mother said nothing.

"When?" he asked.

"Today. Immediately," said Rian. He looked at his mother with a sinking feeling. She wouldn't look up at him.

Kyran turned to Lauretta. "You're coming too, right Mother?"

She looked at Kyran and shook her head. "I ... can't. I have ... the house and there's so many things to pack." A string of excuses.

"But, you'll come after that? Later?" Kyran asked, looking up at her.

"Yes, later," she said, tousling the boy's hair with her hand. "Rian will take care of you." She looked up at Rian for confirmation. He nodded.

She wouldn't come—he was sure of it. Perhaps not ever.

"I'll take care of him," Rian assured her.

Mother gave them both a weak smile. Then she almost seemed to relax, from relief?

"Goodbye, Mother," said Rian, giving her a hug. He realized he would miss her. She'd been the rock in his life.

"Goodbye, Rian," she said.

When they finished there was an awkward moment where Mother and Kyran looked at each other. He didn't really expect Kyran to hug her. The boy hated hugs and never initiated them. Mother usually did that, though this time, she hesitated. "Goodbye, Kyran," she said.

"Goodbye, mother," he said, stoically. Then slowly, almost cautiously, he reached out to give her a hug. It might have been the first time Rian had seen this happen and it surprised him ... and Lauretta. She almost stiffened at first when his arms wrapped around her, then she softened and hugged him back.

They stayed like that for several moments before Kyran let go and moved back. Lauretta knelt down in front of him, putting her hand on his shoulder. "I just need ... a little time," she said, almost apologetically.

"I understand," said Kyran. Rian doubted that he did.

Mother stood up and hurried off, back towards the house perhaps. Probably trying to get out of their sight before she burst into tears. It had been a hard day for them all.

Rian stared down at his little brother and reached out his hand. "Shall we go?"

 "Yes," Kyran responded, taking his hand.

__________________________________

Your perseverance is appreciated, stalwart reader.

Help me out by clicking VOTE!

Read on!