Magic Spawn: Chapter 72

by Meredith Skye

* ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ *

Back out in the field near the crypt, the forces of Molan seemed to be waiting. Both Harlan and Zane had succumbed to the attacks of the mosquito-like flying creatures, which had embedded a stinger in each of their backs. After that, the creatures detached and flew off to die.

Harlan's wife, Jenna, ran to his side. "Harlan, can you hear me? Are you all right?" But he wasn't all right. He made no answer, his face pale.  

Further over, Zane lay face down, unmoving. Not dead though. Worse. His skin had begun to turn an unnatural color. Warren and Melissa moved over near him but were afraid to touch him. Instead, they stood, protecting him from attack. But none came.

The transformation had begun. Harlan and Zane were becoming battle wights!

Now the necromancer touched his amulet and spoke words ... some sort of spell ... before Rian could react! This sped up the transformation somehow. Rian feared that Harlan and Zane were lost to them now. But how would they fight both Molan and three battle wights?

Up until now, the Westin-battle-wight had stood quietly watching the field. Now, he drew his sword. Slowly, he advanced towards Rian, face ashen, eyes glowing red, and his Neanderthal brow knit together in a perpetual scowl.

Great!

Even worse, Molan turned his attention in their direction. Could he reassert control of Kyran? That could be disastrous, as it seemed to be the only thing that gave them a snowball's chance of fighting the necromancer. With Kyran's help—who knew what kind of spells Molan could cast!

As Molan and his entourage began to move towards Rian, Aldena finished off one of the skeletons blocking her way. She took a few steps towards the cloaked wizard, reached for her gun. The wizard's hand flew to his amulet and he muttered a quick word.

Aldena aimed and shot five times

Rian sensed, rather than saw, a faint outline around Molan. Some sort of shield?

One of his skeletons stumbled back, hit. Though he recovered fairly quickly. Molan himself made no show that any of the bullets had hit. Surely, all of them couldn't have missed, not at that range! He must have had some sort of hidden protections.

Putting her steampunk style revolver away, Aldena drew her sword. "Molan, how dare you set foot on this world? I'm going to cut your heart out and dance on it!"

"I doubt that," said Molan casually. He stopped moving towards Rian and drew his own dark blade.

Aldena launched herself at Molan and he countered her attack.

Now, Rian brought his attention back to the immediate threat: the Westin-battle-wight. It reached the fire ring that Kyran had cast and moved through it like it wasn't there. Then he looked down at Rian with those vacant, beast-like eyes and snarled. He lifted his sword, ready to strike.

It pulled at Rian's heartstrings to face off with his best friend like this. There was no way around it now—it was kill or be killed! Westin moved with lightening speed and rushed Rian, running right over him and slamming Rian down on the ground.

He tried to move, tried to sit up but felt too dazed.

Was this it?

_________________________________

Thanks for your support! Click "vote"

and don't forget to visit my author website:

http://meredithskye.weebly.com