Magic Spawn: Chapter 19

by Meredith Skye

* ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ *

Slowly, Rian regained consciousness. He was aware that he was lying in the dark meadow. Memories came flooding of his struggle with the mysterious woman that, at first, he thought was working for Molan. But she couldn't be. Even the suggestion of it had angered her. She had insisted that Kyran was evil and that she must kill him.

She must have hit him over the head, right after Kyran disappeared. The child had run away while they were fighting. Rian cursed himself for his stupidity.

The chill night air made Rian shiver as he struggled to his feet. He peered through the darkness, barely able to see. With relief, he found his sword on the ground not far from him. He was lucky the woman didn't take it from him.

The night was silent. She must have gone after Kyran. If she found him, she would kill him.

He should have told her about Aunt Aldena and her summoning.

Rian ran. He couldn't waste any time. He had no idea how long he'd lain unconscious on the ground. They could be anywhere by now—but where would Kyran go? Back to the house? That seemed unlikely, since the wizard had already been there; it wouldn't be safe. Molan had abducted their mother, or so he assumed.

For awhile, Rian searched the meadow—cautiously at first, then he shouted Kyran's name until his voice felt hoarse.

Surely Kyran wouldn't head for the graveyard? Molan had been hiding in a crypt. Could it be that Kyran did have a link to this necromancer somehow? And if so, would he be influenced by him? Controlled by him?

Rian didn't know.

Was Kyran actually dangerous? The thought cropped up, unbidden, and Rian brushed it aside. Kyran was many things, but he'd never seemed dangerous.

A knot of fear grew in Rian as he ran. Had the woman already found and killed his little brother? The thought occurred to Rian that if she did, perhaps they would be better off, if Kyran was as dangerous as both Ehina and Aldena believed.

But he couldn't think like that! Kyran was his little brother. He was family. The rest didn't matter.

Rian's search took him close to the campground, so he diverted to the Warrior Circle HQ. His lungs were burning by the time he got into camp. The tent was still there. Fog lingered in the air—it had an artificial feel to it. They had suspected a magical spell.

"Anyone here?" Rian shouted as soon as he neared the camp.

Westin and Harlan emerged from the tent. "There you are!" said Westin, relieved. "You had us worried!" His friend glanced around. "Where's Kyran?"

Rian caught his breath. "Don't know. Someone is after him."

"Another skeleton?" asked Harlan, excited.

"No. A woman. She wants to kill him," said Rian.

"Why?" asked Harlan skeptically.

Rian shook his head. It was all hard to explain. Zane and Westin joined them. "Where've you been?" asked Zane.

"The necromancer attacked our house. He's got Lauretta. Kyran got frightened and ran off. I'm not sure where he is."

Harlan gasped and pointed across the field to where a humanoid figure stood about forty feet away, barely visible in the fog. Had it been standing there awhile, watching them? The creature had hairless, gray skin and light blue eyes that glowed faintly—like a tall, skinny Gollum. It's head was overly large, as was its clawed fingers. As it growled at them, baring its sharp teeth.