Ulterior Motives

Gabriel Agreste stood directly in front of the tall, abstract paining of his lovely wife with a great feeling of regret. For years now, he had been questioning himself as to why he never had it removed from his home whenever his saddened blue eyes made contact with its beauty. After all, the only memory that it brought to him was the strong sensations of both pain and suffering. Perhaps, his guilt was the powerful motive that kept the portrait hanging proudly on the wall. Gabriel felt as if removing the picture would symbolize himself letting her go. As much as he would like to rid himself of such a burden, he simply couldn't.

--BEGIN FLASHBACK--

Soon after his wife's disappearance, Gabriel made a sincere promise that he would never stop his search for her. As time went by, though, his efforts became less and less successful. The clues and leads that he had in the past quickly became unclear to him. It was still a mystery as to what truly happened to her. The majority of Paris assumed that Mrs. Agreste could no longer handle Gabriel's close-mindedness and decided to leave him. In fact, Gabriel even believed that their assumptions were true...in the beginning. It did not take him very long to realize that he knew his wife all-too-well to know that she would never leave her son behind. Mrs. Agreste loved Adrien more than she had ever loved anything else. She would give up everything she owned if it meant keeping her child forever happy and healthy. Without intending to, Adrien began to cause problems in his parents' marriage.

Gabriel, being a famous clothing designer, was of course always used to being the center of attention. Such a situation proved no different when it involved his family. Before Adrien was born, Gabriel and his wife spent every given moment together. The happy couple would travel the world and never be afraid to spoil themselves. Upon first realizing that his wife was expecting a baby boy, Gabriel did not mind that their typical routine would be changed, for it would mix things up in their lives. That was, because he did not predict that everything would change completely.

As Adrien grew older, Mrs. Agreste tended to spend more time with her son than she did with her husband. Even though most would not have expected it, Gabriel became quite jealous. Whenever the young Adrien had a problem, he would never go to his father for advice, but rather to his mother. Whereas it was not much of an issue at first, it became a greater deal as the years passed on by. The very night before Mrs. Agreste's disappearance, her and Gabriel were in a horrid fight relating to their son. She wanted to raise Adrien with love and compassion, allowing him to create his own path to be able to follow his own dreams. Gabriel, on the other hand, wanted to surround his son with rules and restrictions, hoping to guide him down a guaranteed successful path. When Gabriel awoke the next morning, he realized that his wife was nowhere to be found. Since she occasionally disappeared for an hour or two nearly everyday, it was no sudden surprise. After an entire day of not hearing from her, though, Gabriel began to panic. Assuming that she was staying at a friend's place because of their fight, he called nearly every citizen in Paris asking if anyone had seen her recently. To his major disappointment, no one had. He then attempted to reach the police about filing a missing person's report, to which they said they'd keep an eye out. Once an entire month had passed by, Gabriel had to accept the terrible fact that his wife left and was never returning. At first, he blamed himself. During their fight, he had said some unforgivable things to the love of his life. Whereas that would be reason enough to leave him, she would have had no intention of leaving behind Adrien, as well.

Gabriel nearly turned his mansion upside down looking for any ideas as to where his wife could have been, when he then found her favorite peacock-design accessory lying neatly on her dresser. It was quite strange that he had found it there, actually. Mrs. Agreste had never taken it off, at least not since before the very first day the two had met. Gabriel was hesitant before picking the object up to investigate it. As he was holding it in his hands, it hit him. The peackock superheroine that was always saving Paris from crime had been missing for the same amount of time his wife had been. That could only mean that she had been his wife all that time. Whenever she would suddenly disappear for an hour or so at a time, it was because she was helping the police with robbers or other criminals. How had he not noticed before? If she didn't leave him, what happened to her?

--END FLASHBACK--

Now standing in a secret, unknown location within the mansion, Gabriel clutched onto the locket of his wife as he held back a few tears. He was still unsure as to where his wife was, but he was not going to give up. "Nooroo, dark wings, rise." The white, pure akumas began to surround Gabriel as Nooroo made his way into the butterfly miraculous brooch. With the help of a kwami, it would be much easier to find Ladybug and Chat Noir's miraculouses, the two that were required for complete and absolute power. With such power, he would be able to bring his wife back to both him and his son. "I'm going to find you, my love. No matter what it takes."

"