False Alarm

Dru turned her head and peered right into his blazing brown eyes causing her to swallow hard. She knew she was in trouble, if she could, she would have made a run for it, but it was too late he had locked onto to her. He was easily the most attractive man at the party; his sturdy, muscular build made him stand out from the rest of the men who were more academic types than athletic. His smooth chocolate complexion, proud nose, and firm lips that could with the slightest touch made her defenseless against him. His walk was one of confidence and with a purpose which was to get to Dru and tear her apart. He ignored the glares of lust he got from other women his target was the only thing he saw. When he reached her all she could do was look up at him with sad and regretful eyes.

Nick reluctantly shut his suitcase closed and sighed loudly breaking Gaby's attention away from her computer and onto him.

"Yes Nick?" she asked dryly.

"I don't want anything." He said with a pout, and Gaby shook her head.

"Come on, come to mama." She said holding her arms out to him; Nick slid across the bed and rested his head on her chest as Gaby wrapped her arms around him.

"I don't wanna go." He said sounding like a little kid.

"I know you don't, but you have too, everything will get better once we officially move until then we will just have to adjust." She said as she stroked his hair. "You can't get all sad like this when you have to leave because then I will be no good." She continued, and Nick's only response was a sigh.

"I know, I know, I'm just worried about you." He said looking up at her.

"I told you to stop worrying about me I'm fine, we're fine."

"Are you ready Nick?" James asked as he walked into the room.

"Yes he is, take him, please take him out of here," Gaby said pushing Nick out of bed. Nick pulled his suitcase off of the bed and kissed Gaby goodbye. James tried to cheer him up during the ride to the airport, but it was no use. Nick met a smiling Madeline at the terminal and decided to put on a happy face.

"What's wrong Nick?" she as with concern written all over her face.

"Nothing's wrong." He said, and Madeline frowned.

"Don't tell me nothing is wrong I know you better than you think Nick," Madeline said as she rubbed his arm compassionately.

"I just don't feel comfortable leaving Gaby so close to her due date; she swears everything is going to be fine, but I just don't..." Nick trailed off as he tried to keep a positive attitude.

"Everything will be fine; we'll only be gone two days, three tops and if she does go into labor you're a three-hour flight away."

"Your right,"

"Of course I am, how about we go get some coffee my treat I'll even get you one of those artery-clogging bear claws you love so much," Madeline said as she pulled him towards a coffee shop.

*****

Gaby inhaled sharply as a Hick's contraction hit her again, it was the third one in an hour, and they seemed to be getting stronger. Gaby refused to believe that she was going into labor, Nick was only gone for a day and wasn't due back for another day, and there was no way she was having the babies without him. The contraction subsided, and Gaby picked up her glass of water and guzzled it down when Isabelle walked in.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"You don't look okay," Isabelle said as she placed the back of her hand to Gaby's forehead and then her cheeks.