Repentance is Good for the Soul

"I'm coming, I'm coming," Isabelle grumbled as she stomped her way to the front door as she wrapped her robe around her body.

"Who in the world could it be at this ungodly hour?" she fussed as she looked through the peephole and gasped before tossing the door open to James giving her a boyish grin.

"James, what are you doing here?" Isabelle asked utterly stunned; she wasn't expecting to see him for another two weeks.

"I heard you were having trouble with our little angel, so I came to help," James said as he pulled Isabelle into him and kissed her as if he needed her kiss to survive. James carried Isabelle into the house and closed the door with his foot never breaking their kiss. Isabelle wrapped her arms around him never wanting to let him go for fear she was dreaming.

"I missed you so much," Isabelle said on the brink of tears.

"I missed you too, but with a greeting like that I'll go away more often." He said with a chuckle as he put Isabelle down.

"Don't you dare," Isabelle said stomping her foot at him.

"Yes ma'am," he said as he shrugged out of his coat. Isabelle was used to James being away for no more than two weeks at a time; it had been a month since she last saw her husband. It seemed like every time James was preparing to come home another case showed up on his desk, and he and his team were on the go again.

"How long are you here? Wait don't tell me I don't want to know." James smiled down at his wife as he hugged her.

"I'm here for as long as you want me here. I took a sabbatical."

"Are you serious?" Isabelle looked up at her husband to see if he was joking, but she could tell he was serious.

"James Howard McNair you know better than to play with my emotions."

"I'm not playing I'm serious Isa I took a six-month sabbatical, and I'm debating if I want to go back full time, I can just consult."

"Why?"

"Do you have to ask that question, my love?"

"You never cease to amaze me."

"I try my best to."

*****

Gaby sat up in the bed with a huge grin on her face when she heard the doorbell ring. Phase one of operation 'Get back on Isabelle's good side' was completed. Gaby carefully slid out of bed and crept to the door and cracked it open when she heard her parents come up the stairs. James was carrying Isabelle back to her bedroom, and Gaby could tell by the look on her mother's face it was about to got a few degrees hotter in a minute. Heat crept up to Gaby's cheeks, and she closed the door and tried not to think about what her parents were about to do.

"Gaby, what are you doing?" Nick mumbled as he looked at Gaby leaning against the door.

"Oh, nothing." She sang as she climbed back into bed. Nick looked at her knowing she was up to something.

"Okay you pulled it out of me," Gaby said as she propped herself up with pillows. "Daddy's here." She squealed with excitement and Nick sat up in the bed.

"Why didn't you tell me he was coming?" Nick said as he started to get out of the bed, but Gaby grabbed his hand.

"Nick, daddy is not worried about you or the fact that we sleep together. You got me pregnant I think it's safe to say he knows." She said with a laugh.

"I don't want him to think I'm disrespectful."

"Dang your mama did a great job raising you." Gaby giggled "Believe me daddy knows you are nothing but respectful and have the upmost respect for him. So just relax." Gaby said nudging his head down on his pillow.