Second Time Around

Taking a deep breath in Gaby filled her lungs with the warm flower-scented spring air as she peered out of the window. Tired of sitting in the bed all day Gaby decided to stand for a while and watch the neighborhood kids play.

"I feel like Bertha Mason," Gaby said over her shoulder to Nick who was lounging on the chaise checking his emails.

"Bertha Mason?"

"Yeah, Bertha Mason, the first Mrs. Rochester from Jane Eyre," Gaby said, but Nick still looked as if he didn't have a clue who she was talking about.

"The crazy lady that Mr. Rochester kept hidden in the house,"

"Oh, the crazy lady that burnt the house down at the end and got dead at the end."

"Got dead Nick? This is what a week off from work does to you?"

"You got what I meant right?"

"Sadly yes I did."

"So back to the lady, why are you comparing yourself to the crazy lady in the attic?" Nick asked with his eyebrow raised.

"Because like her I am confined to one room. Being confined to just one room will make anybody crazy, even inmate's get yard time."

"You're not an inmate Gaby," Nick said dryly, not wanting to fuel her rant. Gabrielle rolled her eyes as she turned her attention back towards the kids playing. As she watched a little boy run away with the ball a mail currier stop his bike in front of the house, and a grin spread across her face.

"It's here; it's here." She chanted as Nick pulled her away from the window.

"Back in bed,"

"But it's here." She said softly with a pout, and she touched his face.

"What's here?" Gaby just smiled as the doorbell rang. Nick left to open the door while Gaby propped herself up in the bed and waited for his return. Nick came back with a small brown shipping box and handed it to Gaby who could barely contain her happiness.

"You are going to love me when you see this," Gaby said as she tore the packing tape from the box.

"Have a seat dearest husband," Gaby said as she patted the space next to her. Nick sat down and watched a giddy Gaby remove the packaging and pulled out a red Cartier box before handing it to Nick.

"What is it?"

"Open it a see," Gaby said as she rested her head on his shoulder as she waited for him to open the box. Nick cracked open the box revealing a simple platinum wedding band.

"It's so shiny," Gaby said as she hovered over the ring. "Let's see what it looks like on you." Gaby took the ring out of the box and removed her earring that had served as Nick's wedding band for the past five days, and slid the ring onto Nick's finger. The ring was a simple white gold band, but it made such a big statement. Nick was finally hers and hers alone.

"Do you like it? I figured I would go simple since I know you hate diamonds on a man's ring but if you want a different cut or something we can-" Nick cut Gaby off with a kiss.

"I love it." He said as he pulled back and looked her in the eyes.

"You do?"

"Yes I do," Nick said as he ran his fingers through Gaby's hair.

"Good I was worried you wouldn't like it I've never picked out a ring for a man before."

"Really?"

"Yeah, the wedding band I had for Derek came as a set when he got mine."

"Well, you did a wonderful job," Nick said as he stared at the ring.

"Ha! Take that Madeline," Gaby said making Nick wince at the sound of her name.

"Why did you have to bring her into this? You messed up a perfectly good moment."

"Because she thought you would never marry me and that right there proves her wrong." She said pointing to Nick newly dressed finger.

"And since I can't go to work with you on Monday to give her the finger a ring will have to do it for me symbolically."

"Is that the only reason why you got me this ring, is to show up Madeline who's opinion doesn't matter."

"Her opinion doesn't matter to me it's just a 'ha bitch in your face' kind of thing. It's a girl thing." Nick shook his head as he ran his hand down his face as he resolved in his mind that he would never completely understand Gaby nor did he really want to. Gaby took Nick's hand and pulled the ring off causing Nick to look at her.

"What are you doing?"

"Just work with me here." She said as she turned and faced Nick completely. Gaby held up his hand and said

"Nick, I give you this ring as a symbol of our vows, and with all that I am, and all that I have, I honor you. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. With this ring, I thee wed." as she slid the ring back onto his finger.

"There, that's better." She said with a smile as she looked up at Nick and tried not to cry. "How was that?" she croaked

"Even better the second time around," Nick said pulling Gaby into him for a passionate kiss that blew her mind.