Where Are We Now?

Nick let out an aggravated sigh as he tossed his pen down on his desk. He had to finish the model he was working on for his presentation on Friday, but his mind kept replaying the fight he had with Gaby. It had been a week since then, and Nick barely got any sleep, he regretted calling Gaby a spoiled rotten little bitch and saying that she was a worthless friend. If it weren't for Gaby pushing him, he wouldn't have the job that he did. Nick knew that if he saw Gaby anytime soon, she would most likely try to take his head off. Finally tired of staring at his sketches Nick decided to bury his sorrow with some pastries. Nick walked into Lauryn's bakery ready for a cinnamon roll and a cup of coffee but was deflated when Nick found himself waiting on a line that stretched around the building. After fifteen minutes of waiting Nick finally placed his order.

"Hey Nick, the usual?" Whitney, Lauryn's apprentice, asked as she smiled at him.

"Yeah," Whitney quickly prepared Nick's order and handed it to him, when he went to pay for it she shook her head no.

"It's on the house, bosses orders," Whitney said as she nodded in Lauryn's direction as she walked over to Nick.

Oh great. Nick thought as he put on a happy face when Lauryn reached him.

"Come with me; we need to talk," Lauryn said as she wrapped her arm around Nick's and escorted him to an empty table.

"Lauryn I didn't come here for a lecture," Nick said as he poured sugar into his cup of coffee.

"Well too bad, you're going to get one." Nick rolled his eyes and looked at Lauryn.

"You need to make up with Gaby; she's miserable."

"Why do I have to be the one to set things right?"

"Because you're the one who called her a bratty little bitch or whatever you said,"

"I didn't mean it I was just upset."

"You're telling me," Lauryn said as she took Nick's cinnamon roll. "Gaby is in a terrible space, and she needs you more now than ever, and I know you need her," Lauryn said as she tore a strip away from the roll.

"I was going to eat that you know," Nick complained.

"No cinnamon rolls for you until you make up with my cousin."

"I'll talk to her; I'm just giving her time to cool down."

"Okay, see that you do, you don't want to be added to my uncle's hit list," Lauryn said as she got up, leaving Nick alone with his thoughts and a half-eaten cinnamon roll.

Gaby stood in front of her bathroom mirror and stared at the little bump protruding from her stomach. Gaby knew that she had to tell Nick about the baby, but after their fight, she didn't want to see him let alone speak to him. Gaby placed her hand on her stomach and looked down and said

"It might just be you and me kiddo because your daddy is a big dodo head." She said trying to keep her words rated G. Gaby pulled her shirt down and walked out of the bathroom humming her favorite Carrie Underwood song. Gaby was getting ready for her lunch meeting with Derek, she would have preferred to have the meeting at his office, but once he mentioned lunch, she got hungry and agreed. Gaby tossed open her closet door and tried to figure out what to wear. After a half hour of deliberating she settled on a sweater dress with leggings and a pair of knee-high stiletto boots. When Gaby arrived at the restaurant, Derek was waiting for her at the table. As soon as Gaby sat down and they ordered they started to talk business.

"Rhonda and I talked last night, and she wants to spend at least five to six months promoting the new book even though you already have an established fan base."