Chapter 17 part 3

The good thing is I at least know he’s still alive, and wouldn’t I know if he died? I would think so but maybe it doesn’t work out that way. I don’t know all about being a werewolf yet so maybe I’m wrong, knowing my luck, I probably am.

My breathing became steady after a few minutes and I relaxed a bit more since I didn’t feel like I was making too much noise and attracting enemies closer to us. Samantha was closer to being halfway done with her exhaustion than I was, so I let her keep guard over us as I completely relaxed. I closed my eyes, and I soon fell asleep to Jaren’s light snoring against my side.

I was woken up too quickly, as it felt like I only rested my eyes for a few seconds. Samantha was nudging me with her snout to wake me. I lazily opened one eye and looked over at her. Her stance basically told me we needed to get going again. I got up slowly, trying not to disturb my son’s sleep. He was as tired as I was, though he wasn’t the one that has been running all this time. I gathered him up into my jaws and we started trotting.

We kept a decent pace, not running to waste energy we might need and not walking so we don’t get caught up into another scuffle with lunatic wolves or anybody really. It was about two hours of us trotting along and one hour since Jaren woke up, trying to look around with his eyes still closed, but he could smell everything around him. None of that really surprised me, what surprised me was the sudden howl in the far distance. My ears perked up and listened in, my legs slowing down instinctively. It was Thresh! My heart jumped in hope and excitement, and I wolfishly grinned toward the way I heard the howl. He was still alive, I knew for sure now. Adrenaline suddenly pumped into my veins and I yipped then sped up to Samantha. My eyes sparkled in happiness…he was alive. I smiled wildly.

Thresh (After the girls left)

I was in full alpha mode as the wolves and humans piled into our house. They want what is ours, my wolf whispered to me. I growled at the thought, no one is taking my mate or child, they are MINE!

The men were in bulletproof vests and construction-site like helmets on their heads, with military only weapons in their grasp. I was a bit taken aback but I gathered my wits. If they want to fight then let’s give them a fight. My wolf growled in agreement as I thought this, I looked over to my father and he had the same wild grin on his face. He was ready for the cat and mouse game to begin, we both were. I gave a crazy wicked smile to the men and let just a little of my wolf out in my eyes.

I took a step forward and looked over to my father, who looked back excitedly, “Let the games begin.” I spoke, then grinned widely.

I bent my knees and pounced toward the first few men, not caring that they had guns pointed at me, and took the first three down. My father followed after me and jumped on the ones behind the three I took down. They were unconscious from our weight and how hard we hit them, so there was no need to deal with them at the moment. We didn’t want to kill them, too much bloodshed, but we would still fight, only kill if necessary.

I jumped back up and started throwing punches at the ones who were near. Some tried to dodge but ended up getting hurt worse than what I would’ve inflicted. Others just took the hits and let themselves be defeated, which was probably smarter to do than fight back. As my father and I fought the ones in Morgan’s bedroom, we heard the windows downstairs crash and the front door splinter open. I turned my head and spoke to my father as I made sure to dodge any attacks as well.

“Father!” I yelled toward him.

He grunted loudly, indicating he heard me, “Yeah, I heard it too.” he replied.

I worried that they had stronger reinforcements than the ones we fought now. The government could be very tricky when it comes down to surprises. I was getting more and more tired with so many. I could see my father was lagging a little bit too as I looked over at him. Even us wolves need a break here and there.