Chapter 17 part 2

Sorry! i've been super busy and haven't had time to write and i've got so many projects ive been doing lately that i just needed time to relax. plus, i've been  stressed out like crazy with behind the wheel stuff and worrying for no reason like usual. but i thought i should update so here ya go!

______________________________________________________________

As my wolf looked over toward Samantha to see what I was worrying about, she became a bit worried as well. The wolf she faced took that moment to go after her and attack while she was vulnerable. In surprise, I yelped inside our head from noticing he was attacking, she looked back over and was soon tackled to the ground away from Jaren. He was left on his own and couldn’t defend himself at all. A part of me saw he was completely unprotected and somewhere inside of me, roared in anger. They didn’t want to be separate from their pup when we are in danger. My wolf stood up immediately but so did the crazy wolf, and he bolted toward Jaren as soon as his legs were up and stable. The angry part of me was about to tear down my controlled reasoning and logic and just pound over there and rip the wolf’s throat out, but my wolf helped me grab a bit of sanity and shot off like a bullet to get Jaren back under our care.

We caught up with the wolf but we were losing our energy to one up him. Our legs were tired and wanting to collapse under us but we wouldn’t allow it until Jaren was safe. As much as it hurt to run, we made our paws move faster. When we got close to Jaren I didn’t slow down, the crazed wolf started reaching with its mouth to grab the fur on the back of his neck to pick him up but we snatched him up first into our jaws.

I continued to run but I curved around slowly, making my way toward Samantha. I couldn’t leave her and if I somehow died, she’d have to hold onto him until Thresh caught up with her and give him to Thresh.

I slowed down a bit so I wouldn’t waste as much energy. Sadly though, the wolf was still on my tail to get my son, but it was getting hard to hold myself up and keep running. Samantha was in my sights soon enough as I started to straighten out, she saw me and I indicated to keep the other wolf above. She must’ve understood, because she changed tactics and did what I suggested. The wolf was confused but I was soon upon him and basically ran into him like a line backer. The wolf who was chasing me didn’t have much time to change course so he jumped over but a couple of sticks were there to ruin his fall and his legs went out from under him.

I hurried to get up as best I could but my legs wobbled like a newborn’s. Samantha had trouble as well but not as much. When we were as set as we could be, we started to run again, to get away from the wolves. Our legs were aching and we needed to rest but we couldn’t stop now, not until they were a safe distance away.

We ran for about 20 minutes when we finally stopped, though it may have been longer, I wasn’t paying attention to the time and plus we didn’t have a watch or clock nearby. We completely collapsed when we stopped, though I was careful to not drop too harshly with Jaren in my jaws.

I couldn’t get up anymore. It was too hard, and hurt too much. Plus, this wasn’t good for my body after just having a baby not that long ago. My paws ached terribly, my legs felt like lead and I was panting like a race horse. In my head, I just wanted to be carried and not move ever again, but I knew I would have to soon.

I put Jaren down, so he could move on his own for a bit. As tired as I was, I nuzzled him for a few moments then set my head down on my paws to relax, even for only a moment. Jaren whined as he moved around on the dirt. I looked around for a bit before I checked on what was wrong. It seemed that it wasn’t much of a coincidence that he could tell when danger was near, so I had to be cautious. I nuzzled him closer to me as he crawled around. He began suckling, finally finding something to eat after so long. I wondered where Thresh was, if he was doing alright, and what was going on.

I waited.

And waited.

But Thresh didn’t come. My ears drooped and I became scared. He always had the knack of being there when I would just even THINK about him but he didn’t show this time. He always did, once he was on my mind, he was there. If I spoke about him, he was suddenly right in front of me, whether good or bad. Seeing that he didn’t come, was heartbreaking. I closed my eyes and saw the rope that pointed toward my mate, the material that connected me to him. It pointed to where our house was still, nothing has changed.