Final Chapter

I looked behind me and made him promise me he would come back to me no matter what. After a fair distance away, I stopped and dropped our stuff and put Jaren on the ground, making him look up at me. He kept looking behind us and whining but I understood what his mind was think. I took his shoulders and made him look at me.

“Jaren. Baby, look at mommy please.” I whispered to him.

He removed his sight from where we were running from and looked me in the eyes.

“Mama’s gonna be shifting so we can run faster so we can get to auntie Lauren’s, okay?” I told him.

He nodded in understanding, knowing that he’d be riding on my back instead of my jaws, like most animal mothers would. I tore off my clothing, careful not to rip it, and shoved them into our bags then I shifted into my wolf. I watched as my son also changed into his, quicker than I because he is smaller. He whimpered but I knew he couldn’t help it, it still hurt for him while for me it was just a weird tingling sensation like when your foot falls asleep. When my wolf was ready to go, I laid down and helped Jaren get onto my back, who was still pretty small in his wolf form. When he was set and nuzzled into my fur, I gathered our things into my mouth and I took off, making up for lost time while we shifted. We needed to make it to our predetermined destination so we don‘t get caught any time soon.

Next day

Jaren and I walked out of the forest with my hand holding Jaren’s little one inside of it. He still looked back occasionally but he’s calmed down since last night, but we are close to the town where my cousin Lasanan lives. I shiver and smile slightly with anticipation, I’ve missed her a lot since I last saw her. Jaren looks up at me with a questionable look.

“Mama?” he says.

I smile down at him, “I’m just excited to see a good friend, Jaren.” I told him and he makes an “oh” face.

As we walk, we begin to walk into a city, and a busy one at that. Jaren tenses up and his hold on my hand tightened. I look down at him then look back up and rub my thumb over his little hand to calm him down a bit. I realize that this is the first he’s really been in a city, a busy one, and for me I have been in one plenty of times, just not lately. As we walked, suddenly Jaren stops and it took me a few steps to realize he stopped.

He stood there with his head down and he was shaking. People walked around him, like he was nothing special, it irritated me. I moved and crouched in front of Jaren.

“What’s wrong, Jaren?” I whisper to him.

He started shaking more and tears started falling down his cheeks. He pulled his hands away and started trying to wipe away the tears.

“Mama, I’m scared. When’s daddy coming back?” he hiccupped.

Sadness swept over me and I pulled him to my chest, “I don’t know, baby. He’s just trying to keep us safe.”

He sniffs and hooks his arms around my neck, hiding his face in my shoulder. People were going around us now and giving us sympathetic looks. I wrapped my arms around him and picked him up, letting his legs encircle my waist. When I had him in my arms, he calmed down a notch but he still sniffled and a few tears would leak out here and there. He even started sucking his thumb, which he most often didn’t do.

I looked around as we walked, with our luggage in hand still and Jaren on my hip, sniffling a bit. I had to make sure we were following the right streets to get to my cousins and so far it seemed familiar. After about 20 minutes, I noticed a small walk-in medical clinic. As we got closer, I thought about going in there and finding out if I really did have another baby inside of me. I started getting nervous when we were almost in front of it, should I go in or not? What if I have to take a blood test or something else where they can check my DNA and possibly notice I’m different and not exactly human? I stopped right in front of the doors and I hesitated. Jaren moved his head and looked up at me, probably wondering what I‘m doing. Ha, I don’t even know.