Stuff about Music (Cali)

So we’re going to my uncle’s house now. I haven’t seen that fucker in years. I wonder if he’s still smoking pot.

Probably.

So Cae’s driving now and I’m super bored so I’m going to make another list.

Top Ten Best Albums of All Time, Ever, in the History of the Universe

1) In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel: Nothing needs to be said, but I’ll say it anyway. This is it. The lyrics, the singing, the instrumentation, everything is perfect. If you disagree I hope I hit you with this van on the way to California.

2) Funeral by Arcade Fire: Beautiful, lovely, sad, uplifting. It’s even got a concept album inside the damn thing, on the side. I mean, fuck. What else do you want?

3) The Bitter End by Right Away, Great Captain!: Yeah, this list is hipster, obscure shit. But whatever. This album is heartbreaking on an insane number of levels. Soft folk to the story of a sailor who finds his wife cheating on him with his brother. Full of anchor suicides, boat fires, and cigarettes.

4) Boxer by The National: I’m not sure what this album’s about, or if it’s about anything, but it has lots of pretty instrumentation, gorgeous singing, and urban alienation. Fuck yes.

5) Bows + Arrows by The Walkmen: Chances are, you haven’t heard this album. Go listen to it. It’s fucking amazing.

6) Sound of Silver by LCD Soundsystem: The best dance/electronic album ever made, bar none. Fuck Daft Punk, LCD Soundsystem kicks their ass to China. This album could get on this list just from the power of “All My Friends” alone.

7) The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place by Explosions in the Sky: You will never hear a more fine instrumental album. Their debut is just as good, but this one wins by a landslide because of “Your Hand in Mine.”

8) Apologies to the Queen Mary by Wolf Parade: Amazing album, full of power and emotion, and some kick-ass rock songs too. Buy this shit. It’s Cali approved.

9) Turn on the Bright Lights by Interpol: If you hate this album, I hate you. Simple as that.

10) The Front Bottoms by The Front Bottoms: Pop-punk done with an acoustic guitar, drum set, and a bass. Also, a hell of a lot of singing about ex-girlfriends, steroids, hiding from the government, stalking people, and wondering if the girl you had sex with tonight had sex with other guys tonight as well. Fanfuckingtastic.

Honorable Mentions:

1) The Suburbs/Reflektor/Neon Bible by Arcade Fire: Yes, every other Arcade Fire is in the honorable Mentions list. Got a problem? They are listed in the order of enjoyment, despite them all being perfect 10’s in my book.

2) White Blood Cells by The White Stripes: An amazing rock band doing what they do best: playing rock music.

3) Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness by The Smashing Pumpkins: Yeah, it’s long. Really long. And it’s got some weak stuff. But seriously, it’s rad as hell.

4) OK Computer by Radiohead: Amazing. Probably the greatest album on urban alienation ever made.

5) ...Like Clockwork by The Queens of the Stone Age: This album is, quite possibly, the sickest shit ever. Rocks harder than most bands ever will, ever.