Broken Glass

I manage to drag Jenn off the couch to the island. I watch my sad friend eat her cereal. She's wearing the same clothes from last night and her makeup is smeared and her hair is a mess. Still beautiful. I realize how low we are running on food.

            "Hey I'm going to the store, want anything?" I ask as she plays with the few Cheerios left in her bowl. "No I'm good." She says in kind of a bland voice.

            On my way over to the store I can't help but think about Jenn. What's new. I'm also wondering how long until she's over her. What can I do to make her feel better? My thoughts are washed away, once I hear my favorite song playing. Single, by the neighbourhood. I can't help but belch out the words.

            The first time I had came to a realization about my feelings for Jenn, this song along with idfc was my shit. Honestly still is. I don't ever mind sharing oxygen, I just wanna get lost in your lungs. I hold my chest as I sing passionately.

             I finally arrive at whole foods. I get in and get out as quickly as possible. While I was in the store I got loads of sweets for Jenn and I. Her favorite ice cream, chocolates she could tolerate. Sour gummy worms. And to top it off I hit up the liquor store to get some rumchata, she always loved it. It wasn't really strong and I knew she didn't really like the taste of alcohol. I also got something a little stronger, incase she wanted to go that route.

             I walk in and feel glass beneath my feet. I look over to the island and see Jenn leaning on the table with her hands over her head. "What happened in here?" I ask her. She doesn't move. "Hey.." I bring the bags to the island and walk over to Jenn.

            "What's going on?" Her voice speaks out from her hands, "Alyx came by, drunk" she says and I wait for her to continue. "She started telling me how I'll never find someone like her. She said she is the best thing to happen to me. No one will ever love me, she was the only one to ever love me" Her voice chokes.

                 She moves her body so she's leaning her back on the edge. Her image has changed a little. Her hair is cleaned. She's wearing black joggers and a black shirt, with no makeup. A small effort, but it's a noticeable change.

                "You know that isn't true Jenn. You know plenty of people adore you." I tell her but her expression doesn't change. "What happened with the glass?" I ask. "I got a little mad after she left and threw the glass. It was dumb"

                 I begin to unpack the bags, and she looks at the items. "These are literally all of my favorites, how did you know?" She says giving a smile. "I'm a great bestfriend I guess." I say. Nothing more. Nothing less.