Chpater 2

Hi! I told you I would come back! Lin (aka the dad) will called Lin in the story. Thanks!

***

It was a nice Sunday afternoon in September. The air felt cold as leaves flew by right in front of my face.

"I'm scared" I said as I shifted closer to the man who adopted me. The sound of reality was pretty darn scary. Horns honking in the distance, the sound of people, the sound of engines.

I should've called him "dad", but I was still like "super duper" scared.

"It's okay," Lin said patting me in the head. "You'll get used to it." I hesitated. Should I call him dad? I gripped onto my bag tighter from all this "reality".

Before I could speak about how I feel, a car pulled up in front of us and the window rolled down.

"Come on, Macey, I'm going take you to my apartment," Lin said, gently pushing me along. I tried to calm myself down as I slowly entered the taxi. "Come on, don't be shy."

First of all, what is an apartment?

I sat down on a soft, leather seat. Looking back at the orphanage, I felt pretty bad about leaving. I lived there for 6 years, and now I'm living with a celebrity!?

Lin climbed into the taxi. "Lin, my man," said the taxi driver, shaking hands with him. "You know where to go," Lin said, leaning back in his chair. The driver looked back at me, causing me to sink down into the leather seat. "And who is this?" the driver asked. "This is Macey, a new addition to the family," Lin said, looking at me for a second. "Well isn't she pretty," complimented the driver.

Pretty? I don't know what I look like. I never saw a mirror before! Even though I slightly saw myself in the reflection of the windows of the taxi, I refused to look I myself.

The driver started up the engine, making me jump. I knew what engines sounded like, but I never have heard one up close.

"Ready to go?" Lin asked me for the second time. I took one last glance at the orphanage. The horrifying building I have lived under for 6 years, now will be in the distance.

"Yes."

***

"We're here!" Lin exclaimed.

I jumped, rubbing my eyes. A bright light blinded me. Actually, several flashing lights blinded me. Did I fall asleep, and what is going on outside?

"Where?" I asked confused, not thinking about what to say.

"At my apartment silly," Lin joked as he patted me on the top of my head.

I let out a laugh, a laugh I thought I'd never hear again. The driver looked back at me, smiling. "Careful of the paparazzi," the driver warned as he was given a tip from Lin.

Paparazzi? What the heck is paparazzi?

"What is 'paparazzi'?" I asked as I looked out the window. People surrounded the taxi with some sort of black box that sent out a flashing light.

"People who take photos," Lin answered as he waited for a path to be cleared by the body guards who stood at the foot of the tall, fancy looking building.

I picked up my bag and held it tightly, as if it were a teddy bear. These flashing items were like monsters to me. I started shaking as my anxiety took over.