Chapter 1

"Wake up, sleepy heads!"

I woke up, lazy as always and turned over to sit up.

I grabbed my medicine and tipped down into my mouth and swallowed it with water as always.

It's another day at the orphanage, and the ladies that ran this horrifying place seemed to be extra mean.

Like, extra, extra.

I let out a tired moan as I slowly got up from my dirty small bed.

Another day of torture I thought to myself.

I slowly walked on the creaking old wood boards and out of the half broken door.

Everyone seemed very excited for some reason as they exited their rooms. So I tried to over hear on what was happening.

"A famous person is here today to adopt us!" I heard from a distance.

"Did you hear the news? A celebrity is going to adopt someone!"

"This day better be the day where I say goodbye!"

"Why didn't you tell me a celebrity was going to adopt?"

I shook nervously. A famous person coming to adopt. That was the craziest news I've ever heard.

But with a bunch of people with hopes, I think my chances are low.

"Are you coming to eat or what!" screamed the lady, banging a wooden cooking spoon against a metal pot across the narrow hallway.

I've been in this orphanage for years, and I still haven't gotten over the loud bangs.

I slowly made my way to the awfully big cafeteria where every rambled about the news of a "celebrity" coming to adopt.

I didn't really believe the rumor, but I guess I could still get adopted.

"Hey, what is this "celebrity" that is coming to adopt?" I asked the person next to me as a sat down with a bowl of stale cereal in front of me.

"None of your beeswax, Macey. Figure it out," mumbled the person. I was always bullied by the people in the orphanage because I was Puerto Rican. They would laugh about how I was darker than everyone else since all the kids were white.

I had no friends in general.

As everyone finished up breakfast, one of the ladies stood up on a chair and banged a wooden spoon against a metal pot.

"Listen up you punks!" she shouted smirking at me. "We have a famous person adopting! I want you to be EXTRA GOOD!"

The word extra made everyone jump, including me. I got nervous.

Nervous was my middle name. Not literally, but I just so nervous easily.

Everyone started to get up and head for the back yard, where you pretty much hang out until lunch. As I was about to reach the door I suddenly got pinned to the wall by the neck

"Watcha' going to do again today Latino punk!" said the rude person. "Are you going to cry in the corner because you can't get adopted? Huh?"

I nodded as I tried to gasp for air from the pin. She let her hand go off of my neck, making me crash to the ground coughing. "Don't get yours hopes up," she laughed as she kicked me in the thigh. "You're never going to get adopted."

I rubbed my thigh as I slowly got up from the horrible moment. I looked around hoping that someone would help me, but they all just laughed and ignored.