Day Three

"Leo I'm heading off to work," I informed Leo grabbing my gas station uniform.

"Don't be late today Ben, they were pissed yesterday," Leo scolded me and grabbed my jacket for me throwing it and I caught it mid air.

"It's not my fault that they didn't like why I was late," I exclaimed, "I told them how important it was that I had to come back to the apartment and check the locks again, I had the feeling they were unlocked! Better safe then sorry! And what if I had forgotten to turn on the alarm, that could of ended horribly."

"Ben you think the locks are always unlocked and the alarm is just a precaution, we live in a pretty good neighbourhood; it's very unlikely that someone's gonna want to break into 2 college drop out's apartment and steal they're worthless things," Leo rolled his eyes, "I love you like a brother and all Ben but I'm telling you, you have to get over this stupid little habit you have."

"It's no good telling me not to Leo we both know that" I mockingly sang, "It never works."

I laughed and headed towards the door, grateful to get out of this conversation, "Any ways, see you when I get home."

I left the apartment and locked the door.

Check, check, check, organize, repeat, repeat, repeat...

And of course, I checked the lock three times then went to wait for the elevator down. The elevator faintly beeped from inside the closed chamber and I snapped my fingers every three beeps.

The doors opened and I entered, isolating myself in a corner away from the only other person on the elevator, the same girl that's one here at the exact same time basically everyday, just as I was. I continued snapping my fingers every three beeps, and I noticed she was lightly tapping her leg every 5.

I lived on the 3 floor in the 15th apartment, both a request of mine. It was just a short time before we both got off of the elevator. I stopped at the mail cubbies and retrieved our mail before closing, locking and unlocking the little door 3 times.

Behind me I heard the apartment complex's door open, close, lock, then unlock, time after time, as it does every day. The girl finally stopped once she had done it 5 times. I turned round to look at her, she was peering down at her hands as if caught in thought and her hands shook as she started over again...

As if she had to double check, her double checking....