"Fun"

Robbins had tried every single possible way of escaping from the basement but nothing had worked. Her stomach growled since it had been a least a day since she had eaten anything. Hunger was the least of her worries. Thankfully, she wasn't chained up and she was able to find the light switch to turn on the bright, white light. Blood stains covered the concrete floors and Robbins didn't want to think about who's blood it was. She was worried because there was literally nothing in the basement. No boxes. No furniture. Nothing. She wondered what was the point of having nothing in the basement. There were no weapons she could use to defend herself.

              It had been a least a day since her captivity. She wondered if her text had gone through or not. Kyle had taken her cell phone away and who even knows if he destroyed it before the text about Dole was sent to her co-workers. Dole could have easily lied to everyone at the station and said that she needed a break from the case and that she was too stressed out. How long could Dole keep her hidden here before someone actually questioned her whereabouts?

             Robbins still couldn't believe that Dole was the copycat. It seemed impossible to picture her partner and best friend as a killer. What would make him change like this? Robbins hadn't asked about Dole's past before but maybe she should have. What built up anger and hate caused him to be persuaded into becoming a monster?

             The basement door opened and Robbins looked up to see Dole, Kyle, and Kelly walk down the creaking, old stairs. Kyle had a tight grip on Kelly's wrist, preventing her from coming towards Robbins. Kelly's eyes immediately went to Robbins' eyes. They were filled with excitement and a bit of fear. What did Dole and Kyle have planned? In the police academy, they talked about what to do in a hostage situation but nothing can actually prepare one for it happening. Never did she think that she would be held against her will.

            "How about we do something fun?" Dole suggested with a smirk once they were all at the bottom.

            Robbins didn't want to know what Dole had meant by his comment. Fear coursed through her veins as she stared at the man she thought she had known. She stumbled to her feet, not wanting to be below Dole. She wondered if Dole really loved her like he said in his letter. How long ago did he write that letter? Could those feelings just disappear?

           Deep down, he still had to care for her, even if it was a slim part of him. Even if he denied it, she knew there was a sliver of truth behind the letter. She knew that deep in her heart, she cared for him too which made her sick to her stomach. She couldn't possibly care for the man who lied and abducted her. It just didn't make sense.

           "Wh-what do you mean?" Kelly stuttered, snapping Robbins out of her thoughts.

           Robbins adjusted her eyes to Kelly who was held closely to Kyle. She had a fading black eye and Robbins could tell she was in pain by the way she was standing. She knew that Kelly was probably heartbroken when she saw Robbins since Robbins was the one who was supposed to save her. Even Robbins started to lose hope of getting out of here.

          "Glad you asked, Kelly. I hold in my hand a quarter. I'm going to flip it and heads will be Kelly and tails will be Robbins. Whoever it lands on will be the one having the most fun." Dole laughed.

          Robbins was terrified of what could happen. He was probably going to hurt whoever it landed on. Robbins had never been kidnapped before. She had been on several cases of people who have been kidnapped but she had never experienced it herself. This was totally new to her. She could take pain but how much of it until she was broken?

            Then there was Kelly, who had been through this already but it probably wasn't any easier. Even being a police officer, she was scared. Dole and Kyle were in control and there was nothing she could do about it. Robbins held her breath as Dole flipped the coin in the air and caught it in his hand. He glanced down and smiled.