Childhood

Gary refused to show how terrified he actually was of Kyle. He had gotten good at that skill over the years but it took certain experiences to actually be able to hide his emotions. He wasn't really surprised to find Kyle in his house, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Knowing his death was pending, Gary started to reminisce at a place that he usually refused to think about; his childhood. A specific memory came to his mind when he was five years old.

             Gary was in his room playing with a dirty train set that Mommy had gotten him from a place she called the thrift store. He only had the one train but he didn't care what it looked like, he just loved having a toy. He didn't have many so when mommy brought him one, it was the best day in the whole world. It had been a few days since Gary had seen his mom and he wondered where she was at. Pounding footsteps came up the stairs and Gary's heart started to face. He knew those were Daddy's steps and that he was angry. Gary never liked him when he was angry, especially when he'd hurt Mommy.

            The bedroom door slammed open, causing Gary to jump to his feet in fear. His dad stood in the doorway, bright red in the face with big, blue veins sticking out. His fists were clenched causing them to turn white. Gary wasn't sure why his dad was angry but knew that it wasn't good. Without warning, his dad walked over to his and punched Gary in the face, knocking his tiny body to the ground. Stunned, Gary stayed on the floor, tears running down his cheeks. Daddy had never hurt him before.

            Then another punch came in his stomach and then his face once again. Punch after punch. Kick after kick. The unexpected and unexplained assault continued, making Gary cry out in pain. Screams echoed his tiny bedroom as more violent attacks were aimed at Gary.

             "Daddy, please stop!" Gary sobbed causing his father to slow down on his beating.

              "You want me to stop? It's all your fault she's gone." His father screams, blood dripping from his fists.

              Gary's fragile, little boy was aching and bleeding all over. He wasn't able to move. He thought he was going to die from all the pain his father was forcing on him. He was confused. What was his father talking about? Who was gone? Tears covered his face as he tried to protect himself from his father. His dad picked up Gary's one train and smashed it on his head, sending a shocking amount of pain through Gary's body. He couldn't move. His dad threw the blood covered train against the wall causing it to shatter into a million pieces.

           "I want Mommy." Gary screamed, choking on all his tears.

           "Too bad, she left us. She never wanted a child and yet, here you are. Such a waste of space. She's never coming back and it's all your fault." His dad screamed, inches away from Gary's face.

            His father threw out a few more punches and kicks to Gary's breaking body. Once he was done, he left the room, slamming the door behind him. Gary laid on the floor, crying his eyes out as he laid in a puddle of his own blood. Bruises covered his broken body. Was he going to die here? For the rest of the day, Gary laid on the floor, trying to get the energy and strength to move. He was only five years old and was forced to clean up his own blood from his room and his body.

             Gary forced himself out of that memory, the first time his dad beat him. He wanted to cry but with Kyle around, he refused. It was all about the skill of hiding emotions. His childhood had been far from normal and without a mother who never wanted him and a father who was forced to keep him and abuse him, why would he want to relive that tragic past? As he grew up, he refused to think about his "family", it only brought up bad memories.