Golden Memories

(Tadashi's POV)

After I walked away from Mulan, my mind started turning in circles. It took me a good few hours to realize the mistake I made. How could I just leave her like that? She needs me to protect her. I started skimming the crowd to find her whereabouts and saw her squished in between the loud carefree group of our friends. Mulan kept her head down, but she made sure she didn't stray too far from anyone else.

She'll be alright I thought to myself. Especially since Shang has grown to like her.

I frown to myself. Its not like Shang could have known what he's doing, but he's leading her on. She is falling for him and he will never see her that way because as far as he knows, she's a man. If Mulan was actually my sister, I would forbid her from seeing him for her own good. Not only is she deceiving herself, but Shang too.

I was plagued with these thoughts for the whole day. When the Captain finally announced that we would be resting here for the night, I absent mindedly made my bed mat like everyone else.

When everyone settled down, I looked around at them all. I could easily spot Mulan snugged in between Poe and Li because of how scares we were. A grand majority of our soldiers were wounded and sent to the Palace to watch over the Emperor and the royal family. Most Generals would have taken the risked of taking all his living soldiers into battle despite the wounds, but Shang's decision proves he is a caring leader and make decisions in everyone's best interest. I would never admit it out loud but he was a very considerate leader and if things were different, he would probably make a fine husband for Mulan.

But his leadership skills didn't make this situation any less stressful. The Hun army is enormous! How could we ever stand a chance against them?

I sighed and tried to force myself to go to sleep. I couldn't find any peace so I let my mind drift off to what I called my "happy place."

"Is this for me?" Jun-Li asked with a bright smile lifting her porcelain cheeks.

"Uh-huh." I grabbed her waist and turned her around gently toward the only mirror we owned. I fastened the golden chain around her dainty neck. When I was done, I traced the curve of her back  with my finger down  to her hips and she let out a little giggle. I wrapped my arms loving around her as I met her eyes in the mirror.

The necklace seemed to make her chocolate eyes shine brighter, and it went perfectly with her beautiful white dress. The golden chain caught gleams of light as it led to the beautiful heart shaped locket that rested perfectly right above her cleavage. It had intricate swirls embroidered into the metal. It was a modest but beautiful piece, and anyone could tell it was very well made. It reminded me of my beautiful yet humble wife of mine. Moving her long hair out of the way, I rested my head in the crock of her neck. "You look beautiful." I murmured.  

She lifted an arched eyebrow while trying to smother her growing smirk. "Who are you and what have you done with Tadashi." I threw my head back as I laughed. I knew she was giving me a hard time because I never bought such expensive things. 

"I just thought you deserved something that looks as beautiful as you."

"Are you trying to woo me my good sir?" She turned in my arms so she was now facing me. "Well it won't work. My heart belongs to another"

I faked a gasp. "But my lady, my heart beats for only you. Without your love, my life has no meaning!"