My Pa pa

Tadashi held the note in his shaky hands, tears brewing in his eyes. For a moment I thought he would tear the paper or crumble it up maybe, so I quickly preyed it from his clammy fingers.

"Let me destroy it." He murmured murderously.   

"We can't." I pleaded, my voice just as shaky as his hands.

"And why not?"

"Because this is evidence that Shaun Yu is still among us. We must notify Shang immediately." I whispered.

"No! Thats suicide. You'd be turning yourself in." He ran his fingers through his hair. "This is exactly why he sent you this message. He knows you won't take the risk. Its almost like a challenge."

"Then I accept. I'll do anything if it means I'll be doing the greater good."

"Okay," he snatched the letter from me. "Then he knows I won't let you take the risk." He pointed to the last line. "He already knows about me. And your poor family. The gods only know what else he knows about you."

"Think this through! If he knows about you, and he knows about my identity, and one of his minions delivered this message to me, clearly he's keeping tabs me." I looked over my shoulder for a second, no longer feeling safe. "He could attack me or you at any time he chooses. This is proof." I gestured to the balled up note in his fist. "If I am to die here, I want to know how and when. I don't want to be at the mercy of this monster. I'm vulnerable as it is, and I came here prepared to die on the battlefield. But this...this wild man can hurt my family! He can hurt you!"

Tadashi shook his head and began pacing back and forth. "If I'm going to die anyway, I might as well tell Shang the truth and take my punishment for what I've done. In the process I'll be protecting my comrades and the people I love."

He was really crying now. "Over my dead body." He ripped the note into pieces, letting it scatter the ground. "Forget cousin, your like a sister to me. Or like the daughter I never will have. I'll be the monster if I just lay down and let you die." He kicked the shredded remains of the note further into the dirt. "You will keep this note to yourself. You will do nothing about it until we figure out something. You will act as if nothing happened. And I don't care how much you think you like him, your not telling Shang. Am I clear, Mulan?"

The only thing I could do was stare. If this was any other situations I would have been outraged. But the way he was scolding and commanding me, wagging his finger in my face, the concerned look that covered his features. I could have easily mistaken him for a younger version of my Pa pa.

I swallowed against the lump in my throat as he turned on his heels. I had no idea where he was stomping off too, but I figured he needed some space. All I wanted to do was run into the woods and cry myself to sleep, but I didn't dare go off by myself now that I now Shaun Yu is watching me so closely.

"Mulan." Mushu put a hand on my shoulder from behind and I place my palm over his.

I don't know what to do, Mushu.

"Just do what you think is right. Thats what you've been doing so far?"

And look where its got me.

"Im not the one to ask for direction. Im just your guardian. I think you should just be true to your heart. But, whatever you decide to do, I'll be standing right behind you."

I nodded my head slowly and he let go of my shoulder. Thank you.

"You can do this, Mulan."

-----------------------------------------------------

Night had come and instead of wasting time setting up camp, we just set our bed matts  down on the cold, damp earth.

Against tree not too far away, Khan was drifting off to sleep, surrounded by a circle of all our weapons.  But secretly, I kept a small knife under my pillow and made sure to sleep right in between Poe and Li just incase the Huns tried to pull a fast one in the middle of the night.

"Your safe with me. Im a guardian for a reason."

I made a face. I think your more of a moral support kind of guy.

He crossed his arms and sat back against the tree. "I'm going to remember you said that."

I just rolled my eyes and snorted.

I tucked myself under my blanket and my thoughts drifted to my fight with Tadashi. I still havent made up with him, partly because I didn't see him again today, partly because I didn't look. He ruined the only evidence I had to warn Shang about Shaun Yu. We could have had the upper hand for once. We could have tortured the spies and choked information out of them; valuable information. He was too hurt and angry and he clearly didn't think any of this through. My life is a small price to pay when the when of China is at stake.

Then again...he said I was like a sister to him.... or even a daughter. Even I have to admit how sad it is that he will never be with his wife again. He will never have the chance to father a child, so I supposed I was the closet thing he had. Although he is not that much older than me.

I flipped over on my mat with a huff. I hated fighting with him because he was my closest  friend. Well, besides Khan and Mushu... But they don't count cause both of them are technically animals and one of them is a spirit.
I made up my mind that I would swallow my pride and make up with Tadashi. With our lives on the line, I don't want to stay angry at him and regret my decision later.

______________________________

HEY READERS!

As you can probably tell, I don't really like authors notes but, I just wanted to thank you guys for staying with it so far. Please continue to comment and vote for your fav parts of the story. And don't worry, the story is almost done. We just have a few sad parts to go till the sun can shine through the clouds.

LUV YA'll

~Trueblue132