A Girl Who Can Fight

I started on the path to the lake, humming and thinking silently to myself. Now that Mushu was not here, I knew for sure that all my private thoughts would remain that way.

My mind drifted off back to all the wonderful things Tadashi said about his wife. And again I found my cheeks rising into a smile.  What a wonderful relationship they have. She's so lucky to have a husband that cherishes and respects her the way he does.  He thinks so highly of her despite what he was raised think about and treat woman. I wish other men shared the same views about their wives.

But then my smile slowly began to fade. I wonder if General Shang thinks that highly of women.

Probably not. He's probably looking for a some skinny, obedient, high maintenance governor's daughter that will given him 5 sons. That is, if he's not already married.

My frown got even deeper as I thought of him commanding his wife around the house, and her obeying his every will. I don't even know why I bothered thinking of Shang. He needs somebody who takes orders easily, somebody who is as different from me as possible. There is no chance of him even THINKING of being with me.

And I mean that quite literally, I have no chance with Shang because I am pretending to be a man.

I kicked the dirt angrily as I continued down the path, the pink sky growing more and more dark as I go. I summoned the image of Shang to the front of my mind, his handsome face pulled back into his stern glare. I don't think I have ever seen him genuinely smile at anything.

I remember my mom telling me once that the quickest way to a man's heart is his stomach. Sadly, Im no master chef so I never listened to her advice. Maybe if I could get Tadashi  to cook a decent meal, I could pass it off as my own and serve it to Shang.

That still wont work cause your a man...remember?

I stopped my walking and threw my face in my hands, frustration weighing me down, and took a moment to steady my breathing and calm my mind. Rule of War number 1: Always keep your eyes open and mind clear, especially when traveling alone. If somebody where planning to attack, I need to be fully alert and ready to defend myself.

I listen to the calming sounds of my own breathing. In..out..in..out. Only, it didn't sound so calming, but heavy and rushed. Almost frightened.

Lifting my head, I hold in my own breath and listen to my surroundings. Still, I can hear the heavy sound of inhaling and exhaling, along with a few unfamiliar sounds here and there. Something is here...I'm not alone.

Carefully, I craned my neck to the left of me to peer behind the thick green bushes. There I saw a wild boar that's almost the size of Khai starring down a terrified Yao. Yao stood with his back to me, so there was no way to let him know that I was there. To actually tell him out loud that I'm right behind would be too risky. Instead, I ducked down so the green bush hid my quivering  body. If I didn't act soon, Yao could die.

Rule of War number 2: Protect your fellow soldiers with your life.

My shaky hand swiftly reached behind my back and pulled out a sharp arrow. Quickly setting it into my bow, I pulled the string back, putting it into ready position. My hand slipped a couple times, because it does require an enormous amount of strength, but finally, I steadied my self and slowly stood to my full height.