The Fa Family

The cab drive home was silent as I tried to come up with a way to minimize my punishment and embarrassment, but honestly there was no way around it.

My farm soon came into view and I could feel the color drain from my face.

I'll just....walk reaaaally slow and quiet.

The driver held his hand out to me expectingly. "A tip for the early arrival home?"

Early arrival? Tip? "Who said I had a tip to give?"

"Well it's just that your mother said if I get you home early-"

"Then my mother is the one who owes you a tip. Good day sir." I opened the door and walked away angrily. The cab sped off, kicking up sand and dirt into the air. How dare he demand a tip and then speed away like that? Who does he think he is? If I ever tried a stunt like that, Pa pa would have my head on a stic-

"MULAN!" Little Brother and Ma ma ran down the path to meet me as I got closer to the house. Shoot, I forgot the plan. "What have you done to your hair? Ohh And your beautiful dress? I spent good money on you today and this is how you repay the favor? Foolishness!"She screams. Little brother jumped up on me with his dirty paws, knocking me over to reach my check. He dragged his wet tongue down my face repeatedly, getting mud and slobber everywhere. My mother was appalled "OH MY... ZHOU! Come and see your daughter and how she shames me!"' No no please not Pa pa!

He came out holding his cane in one hand and combing his beard with the other. His eyes flashed with disappointment.

"I just don't understand. You were with him the whole time weren't you? Certainly Mr. Tai wouldn't walk through the rain without am umbrella, so why are you so wet?"

"Were you caught in that rain? Tai Chen didnt bother to share a umbrella with you? How indecent!" Added Pa pa

Sigh...here it goes. "Ma ma, Pa pa...he is not the man I expect you would want me to associate with."

"Did he try to take advantage of you?" Asked Ma ma worriedly.

"Not exactly."

"That was a yes or no question young lady." My father said sternly.

"...no"

"Then what was the problem?"

"Well he-"

"You didnt say anything out of your place did you?"

"No father! I-"

"Mulan! I know you and how sharp tongued  you can be."

"No father, I made it my duty to give the best replies. I did it for you and Ma ma." I could feel frustrated tears spring into my eyes. Why won't he let me talk?

"I cant believe you!" He stepped down from the step, carefully placing his cane in front of him as he stepped. I instinctively jumped forward to help him. He wobbled slightly

"Careful father." I warned.

"ME? BE CAREFUL? I AM A GROWN MAN! THIS IS MY HOUSE! YOU ARE NOT TO TELL ME HOW TO CARRY MYSELF!" This was the time for me to stop talking. I bowed my head and stared at my uncomfortable, now scuffed up heels. "I don't understand how you throw away every chance of happiness we offer you. Do you want to end up a old woman with no family? No future? Who will support you Mulan  if not your husband?  Don't you see this cane and the wrinkles on my face? Im tired and my days are numbered. Your mother will surly follow soon after. We will not be here forever and because of your insolents, we will die knowing our daughter will grow up to be a worthless hag!"