A Girl Worth Fighting For

I have been stuck on this camp for 3 months now. Going through intense military training has left my mind and body sharper than ever before. I didn't realize how out of shape I was until I came to this place.

It was dinner time, but me and Tadashi usually sneak out and go fishing instead of being stuck eating the crap food they served at the camp. We learned the recipe to Poe's secret sauce, and have been eating good ever since.

"I caught a trout." I yelled victoriously. "Its nice and big too."

"Good, go gut it and I'll fry it up."

I gave him a pouty look. "But you know blood makes me queazy, And I really hate the smell of dead fish."

Tadashi rolled his eyes. "Your gonna have to toughen up Mulan. I mean for goodness sakes, we are going to war soon."

I lowered my eyes and looked out into the gray water "I know...I don't know how I'm going to make it. I just cant bring myself to kill
somebody."

Tadashi put his hand on my shoulder protectively. "You don't have to worry about that." He gave my shoulder a squeeze. "I'll do everything in my power to make sure you wont have to."

"Tadashi, you cant keep looking out for me."

"Yes I can and I will. Now hold my pole." He held the fishing rod out to me and I took it from his grasp. "I'll go gut the fish."

Tadashi makes sure we eat as much as possible in one sitting, since we don't usually eat the breakfast or lunch the camp serves. He says we need to eat tons of protein so we can stay as strong as possible.

And he is right. My body has really improved! My arms are toned, my stomach is tight, my calves are firm and my booty is lifted! If I make it out of this thing alive, Ma Ma will be more than happy to go shopping with me for some new dresses and trousers.

As for Tadashi, he was fit from the start, so I haven't noticed much of a change.

We finished eating and began heading back for camp. " Do you ever miss your wife?" I ask.

He breathed deeply. "Everyday... I pray that the ancestors keep her and our child safe. And sometimes, I regret running off to war when what she really needs is me at home."

"You didn't have a choice Tadashi. The Emperor summoned you."

"Well sometimes, we have to bend the rules a little to save the ones we love. I mean, your a perfect example." He nodded his head in my direction.

"Im a dishonor to my family name. Saving my father's life is my only way of repayment for all the trouble I have caused."

"What your doing may be crazy, reckless and illegal, but it will be well worth it in the end. Once we defeat the huns, your family's honor will be restored one-hundred times over.

I smiled at him slightly, but didn't say anything back. He is so sure that I will be able to return home to my family, but sometimes I doubt if I will even be able to survive this camp.

After we finished our dinner, we packed up and headed back for camp. A comfortable silence surrounded us as we walked back into my tent, where Li and Yao were having a intense discussion.