The Big Ball of Fluff

* Neil's POV *

"You guys got me a dog?!?" I ask excitedly. The big ball of spotted fluff rubs against my legs and bounces all over the place, making me laugh.

"You've been missing having your own dog, or one close to that, so we got you one finally." my mom says with a soft smile.

"Alright!" I yell before getting on my knees to greet the dog face to face. I guess that's the reaction was what everyone was hoping for; they laugh and appear relieved.

The dog is really beautiful, but also odd... I can't figure out what breed it is. Looks like the face and body of an Australian Shepard, but that's where the similarities stop. But it's really soft and happy, so I do not care.

"He's an Australian Shepard, Great Pyrenees mix, and he's all yours." Kimberly says.

"All mine..." I whisper quietly, soaking  that idea in.

"How old is he?"

"Only 10 months old. We put in some requests at a lot of shelters for Great Pyrenees mixes, and he was the first to come in." my mom says.

"He needs a name too..." Lacey adds.

"For now, I'll call him the big ball of fluff. I need to get to know him first, you know?" I say, standing up. Everyone nods in understanding.

Reid hands me a leash and a collar, and looks for me to put it on. I bend down and the puppy comes right to me. I slip his collar on, and smile when I catch sight of the golden tags with my name and information on the back. He follows me when I ask him to come inside, which makes it better.

I guess they took our dogs to see him in the shelter before they picked him, because it's obvious they're acquainted. I couldn't be happier that there won't be conflict.

He follows me around the rest of the day, sits by my feet when my family gives me the rest of the stuff they have for me, which I am also surprised by, and he has good manners at the kitchen table. Yet he's so young. It's crazy!

"Do you know why they got him in the first place? He's such a good dog!" I ask after dinner and birthday cake.

"He came from a puppy mill here in Tennessee that was raided. They said he 'was too old to sell' and thus kept him in deplorable conditions." my mom explains.

"That's horrible! Who wouldn't want you?" I ask in a high pitched baby talk tone while grabbing his face. He jumps up in my lap and kisses me all over the place, not even caring about his past, clearly.

"I see how it's gonna be." Lacey says suddenly, confusing me. "Reid will get a girlfriend, and Kimberly will have her husband, but Neil will have his dog!!" she says with a laugh.

"I would be mad at you, but to be honest that will probably be true." I say with a slight shrug. My family first is shocked, but then they erupt in laughter.

"What, girls? Ew! I'll stick to being an introvert thank you." Reid says with arms crossed, being a baby.

"Suuure. I know one of those girls that have eyes on you will catch yours someday." Lacey says while punching Reid's arm.

"Well what about YOU Lacey?" I ask. She flips her head around to me, as if totally surprised I asked her and dreading that I did.

"I have my horses, and my school work, and my job. I don't want a boyfriend. Boys are gross." she says with a flip of her hair and arms crossed.

I can see Reid's eyes light up when she says that. He lunges at her, grabs her by the waist and forces her to smell his sweaty shirt.

"Yea, boys ARE gross and my baby sister is NOT allowed to date them!" he says while she screams and chokes for him to let her go.

My dad breaks them up and gives Reid a stern look. Lacey punches him square in the chest, yells 'you can't tell me what to do' and runs up the stairs.

"Yea, we decide if she can date or not, and frankly we don't care. She's old enough and we set rules for her to follow." my dad says to Reid.

"But..." I say.

"She's our baby. Ours." Reid finishes.

Our parents look both annoyed, but also pleased.

"If you do what you did to my past dates then she will kill you. I'm guessing that's what your plan is?" Kimberly asks us two. We nod our heads and look at each other. We have brother code for this kind of thing. Kimberly rolls her eyes and walks off with JP on her arm, clearly sorry for Lacey's future boys.

"Looks like we need to have a talk with you boys.." my mom sighs. "But later. Today's Neil's birthday, we don't need that talk right now." my dad finishes.

I wonder what they mean the rest of the evening. Wondering if something is wrong with Lacey, or if they want to tell us something private. It worries me when my little sister is brought up in conversations that way.

My dog goes to bed with me, hugging my side as I sleep. It fills this hole in my heart I haven't been able to fill, feeling his warm, soft body pressed to mine.

"Goodnight buddy. I'll find your name eventually. Today was the best birthday ever." I say, patting him.

He picks his head up to look at me for a moment, and then turns back to his doggy dreams. I smile and lay my head down, finally going to sleep after this long day. I'm so thankful my family has been listening to my rants and small wishes about wanting a dog. I'm so thankful.

* a few days later *

"I'm naming him Beau."

"Neil, that's a great name!" my family says.

"Thanks guys!" I say, patting the little puppy's head.

--

Through the coming weeks, Beau comes with us to the studio, writing songs and interviews or meetings. He stands by my every move. He slowly becomes my best friend.

- - -