Chapter one: Over for dinner?

So here is chapter one! :) it may start out a bit slow but it gets better

50 years later.......

"Heather? Are you awake yet? I'm getting started down here" My mother voice floats up from the stairs. It's November 26th, the day my mom sets up the christmas tree and decorations. It's one of those things that me and my mom do together every year while she blasts the christmas music and sneaks some liquor in my eggnog. The only thing I hate about it is that she starts at 10 in the morning and I like to sleep till 12.

"Yeah mom I just woke up, I'll be down in a minute" I shout then bury my face back in my pillow.

I ended up falling back and finally getting downstairs at about 10:45. My mom was waist deep in boxes, with garlen wrapped around her arms that stretched all the way to the kitchen. I stiffle a giggle when she looked up at me with a "help me" face.

"Mom you should of waited till I got down here to start the garlen, and the lights go on first anyway" I laugh as I untangle her.

"well I wasnt sure when you were coming down, I was getting a heard start" she mumbled

"oh okay, where is dad?" I ask

"Probably off with his friends or secretaty getting drunk at a bar, family time to him is nothing and I shouldn't be surprised he is just-" she noticed my eyes drop to the floor and changed what she was going to say " He will probably be back later tonight hunny, why do you ask?" she ended as sweet as she could.

"I don't know, just wondering I guess" I mumble

My dad is always a touchy subject with my mom. They haven't been a real couple since I was about 8, when my mom started night shifts at the hospital. They started to not spend as much time together and my dad slowly stopped trying. After a few months my mom got a phone bill in the mail with a 45$ picture mail charge, confused she went online to their account. She found pictures of a woman sent to his phone and needless to say they weren't just face shots.

Mom hasn't filed for divorce because she didn't want me split between two houses, which im thankful for but it does create alot of akward dinners and conversations.

" I'm going to go warm up some eggnog, why don't you start looking for those lights?" My mom says as she stumbles to the kitchen

I look around at the mounds of boxes, garlen and ornaments and sigh "This is going to take awhile"

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

10 hours, 3 cups of eggnogs (5 for mom), and 200 hundred christmas songs later the house was decorated. Me and my mom lay on the living room floor looking at the house lit up at night. It was so beautiful and not because i was a little tipsy since my mom dumped a little extra in my third cup.

"Im home" I hear my father call from the back door.

"Hey" my mom and I say in unison, all we could probably get out.

My dad walks to the living room and smirks. "should of known" he shakes his head. "the place looks amazing as always girls" He bends down and kisses me on the forehead

"Thanks, I'd give you a hug but I can't really feel my body" I reply

My dad frowns a little "Vivian how much did you give her?"

My mom looks over at me and laughs "Not that much, same as last year"

I flop my hand around untill i reach my dads shoulder and smile " Dad...dad..the house..it..it looks great...you know? So .. shhh..sh" I slur