Chapter 37: whats to come

I couldnt believe the ball was here, after all this time I actually grew a little bit excited. Although I was super excited this morning now walking down the marble stones that led to the main staircase where everyone watches you descend I was nervous and a bit shaky.

"Hey Amber?" I whispered as we approached the line.

"Yeah, Heather?" She whispered back a little shaky.

"Are you nervous?" I side way glanced at her and bit my lip.

"Yeah a little, but I went to a dance before so I kind of know how it goes." She shrugged her shoulders and half smiled at me.

"Ugh, I think im going to throw up." I groaned and shifted my feet in these death trap heels.

"No no no don't do that, Ill go first, just do what I do. Its faster than you think, just make sure you make even steps and dont look at your feet." with that she walked gracefully to the railing and I watched her decend quickly but beautifuly.

Dan was at the bottom of the steps awaiting her, he looked amazing and so did she. They walked out to the dance floor and started to waltz. Oh crap! I dont think I remember the waltz.

"Hey its your turn go." A snob behind me whispered harshly at me and I resisted a remark.

Okay here we go. I took my first step and almost paused at the immediate attention I was recieving.

"Princess Heather, belonging to Prince Jake king-to-be." A voice announced and the room was silent.

I kept moving and kept my eyes focused on a far away object. I hoped I looked somewhat graceful but I honestly just wanted to get to the bottom of the steps and have the attention away from me.

I reached the bottom step and I felt a surge of electricity sear through my hand. I went to recoil but the a hand held mine tightly and brought me to the dance floor.

I looked up and Jake was guiding me to the middle of the floor, I could only see the back of him but I already knew that he was the best looking in the room hands down. My heart started to race at the very thought of him holding me close.

Friends. Thats all we could ever be or try to be. Just friends. I needed to stop thinking of him like this it wasnt fair to me.

He turned to me and put a hand on my waist then started to dance with me. His eyes were locked on mine unblinking. I couldnt breathe i let him lead my body and just watched him look deep into my soul. His eyes took on a hint of red for a moment and slightly moved my head back.

Demon. thats the word that hit me once I seen that. I totally forgot untill now what I heard last night.

"Are you okay?" Jakes voice virated through out my head and my skull literally hurt. Things were getting blurry around me. The only thing that was clear was me and Jake.

"I- I think so." i looked around blinking several times but nothing was working. I looked back at Jake and his eyes were now a red green.

"You sure?" His voice turned to more of a dangerous taunt and he pulled me closer to him. My body was buzzing and I was very aware of his breath that swiveled down my neck.

"Jake what is up with your eyes?" I demanded trying still to focus.

He became a little more rigid in my hold but still was continuing to lift and swirl me.

"Nothing, maybe Im just a little hungry." He looked at my neck on the word hungry. He was acting really strange and it scared me.

"there is definitly something up with your eyes Jake." I said stubbornly.