Chapter 3

Follow/ Vote/ Comment/ share for a dedication to any three books

Chapter 3

Jonathan stopped me before I could make it down the hall. I turned to him as he caught me off guard with a kiss. When I opened my eyes, he was staring at me intently.

"What? What is it?" I asked him.

"Just be careful okay? That women is very sneaky and I just got you back. I don't want to lose you again." He said seriously.

I rested my head on his chest and wrapped my arms around his waist. "I'll be careful, Nate. Besides, we're just going to talk. I want to give her a second chance at being my mother. I want to know I could trust her."

He pulled away from me and held my shoulders. "But you can't trust her, Addy. That woman is-"

"Still my mother," I interrupted him, "and I'm going to give her a chance because of it."

I gave him a look and he sighed . "Yeah, I know. Go meet her then and be careful." he told me again.

I winked and turned around heading to my new office. The guard didn't specify where Belle wanted to meet me but something told me it was most likely there. I was about to knock on the door when I realized that it was technically my office. Rolling my shoulders, I opened the door and stepped in.

Belle sat there behind the desk in a pair of reading glasses attending to stacks of paperwork that accumulated over the weeks I'd been out. She looked up and smiled at me warmly.

"Addy, please come in and have a seat." She fixed a pile and put it to the side for the moment.

"You wanted to see me?" I ignored the feeling of annoyance as I followed her suggestion to have a seat in my own office.

"Oh yes. There was something here I wanted to bring to your attention. Where is it?" She scrimmaged through a stack until she found a letter. "Ah, here it is. Just look this over."

I took the paper and barely skimmed through it as Belle continued to speak.

"Mr. Johnson wants protection in a deal he has coming up next week, as well as to make payment for a briefcase of diamonds that he purchased three days ago for fifty million U.S dollar. That paper is the copy of the inventory list. I was thinking maybe give him half the amount of diamonds now and at final payment give him the rest, but-"

"Belle what are you doing?" I cut her off.

She stared at me a little surprised. Probably because I cut her off. "What do you mean? I was explaining the aspects of the deal I was about to make-"

I was getting a bit mad now. "There you go with that "I" again. There is no "I", Belle. You're beginning to act like this is your mafia instead of mine. So I'll ask again: What are you doing?"

Belle took off her glasses and rubbed her eyes. Then she looked at me. "I get it. You think I'm trying to take over."

I sat back. At least she knew what I was thinking. "Well, you did appoint yourself as temporary Boss without telling me."

She sighed. "Addy, my love, I'm doing this for you. This mafia isn't mine  nor do I wish for it to be. I didn't want you to stress over anything so you could focus on having a full recovery. Speaking of, how are you feeling?"

I fiddled with my hands in my lap. That was the right thing for her to say if she wanted a second chance at being in my life. She didn't make it hard to not trust her but she did make it hard to not give her a chance.

"I'm fine. Really, I feel great. I understand why you did what you did Belle but you can't just come here and try to take over." I told her.

She nodded to my words. "I'm so sorry, Addy. I just wanted to help you in any way I could. I'm trying to get a second chance here at being your mother. To have- no to earn your trust."