Chapter 24-Perfect Dress

Chapter 24—Perfect Dress

"Finally!" Sam giggled over the phone. I immediately called her up when Tessa and Drake left after dinner. While I was telling her everything, she didn't sound surprise and the only word she said after I told her was, yeah, right, finally.

"That's it?" I asked as I rolled to the right side of my bed. My gaze then landed on the balloons on the other side of my room.

"What?" She asked. I could imagine her raising an eyebrow at me.

"Just finally?" I prompted looking up at my ceiling. "I mean you're not mad or anything? We both know you...you liked him."

"Liked. Past tense. I've moved on, Court, duh." I could imagine her rolling her eyes as she flipped her orange hair.

"So, uhh, you're okay with it?" I bit my lip as I sat right up.

"Why the hell not?!" She answered, her voice an octave higher than earlier. Okay, she sounded frustrated now. "I am so happy you two are going together for prom. I swear I couldn't be any happier right now, Court. First, my new crush which is well, Sam—I was supposed to tell you about him but he proposed before I could tell you so yeah—so he ask me out for prom and then you got asked by your crush for prom. Why could I not be happy about that?"

"Wait what?" I asked, blinking my eyes twice. Crush? How. The.

"Is there something wrong with your line now or you're acting dumb?"

"Excuse me?"

"Oh come on, Court," She let out a heavy sigh. "You don't really have to say but I know you like him, okay?"

"W-what?" I stuttered, surprise with Sam's words. "W-where the hell did you get that? Drake and I are just friends."

"Court, I never said about you two being more than friends. You're being too obvious," She chuckled before continuing. "I just said you like him. The fact that you're stuttering right now and you're being too defensive is just proving it."

"Wha—I don't...I—uhh"

"See?" Sam told before laughing out loud on the other side of the line. "Just say it. I won't tell Drake about it."

"I called you up to inform you about what happened because you're my best friend and now here you are accusing me of...things." I defended, not wanting to admit any thing. Not yet.

"Well, if it isn't important, you wouldn't be calling me up and telling me every details of it over the phone. You wouldn't sound so excited for prom if it wasn't for Drake," She told me as a matter-of-factly and I had to bit my lip because everything she said was actually correct. "I could remember you saying: I am so not going to prom this year. No, don't try to change my mind just because you don't have a date yet. I am not going."

"I—"

"I quoted it properly, didn't I?" She asked smugly and I could picture here, tugging her lips up in a corner.

"You must be dreaming, Sam. I can't remember saying any of those."

"Oh really?" I could imagine her raising her eyebrows. "I will remind you then. Everyone was talking about prom then during lunch, Sarah slipped. She told us that last year, the three of them never went to prom because it wasn't their thing. After lunch, while we were walking towards our respective classes you sa—"

"Okay!" I cut her off while raising one hand up; yeah, as if she could literally see me throwing a hand up in yielding. "I think I might have said those? You know when it's the time of the month you keep on saying things that you don't really mean? Remember? Then you tend to eat those words later on?"