Dead

I stared up at the canopy made from the trees. Someone near the house there was a battle going on, who was winning and who was losing I didn't know. All I was sure of was I had been burning from the venom and my best friend Jamie had bitten me. 

But that was minutes ago. Now I was having the life sucked out of me by Nic who was trying to save my life by cleaning my blood of the venom by sucking on my wound. 

I remember him shouting to my parents that he wasn't going to give up, that he was going to try and save me at all costs. He didn't want to let me turn into a vampire. He didn't want to take a chance on me losing sight of who I was.

Or maybe he didn't want the woman he loved to become too dangerous for him to be around. 

Still he could be turned to so I wouldn't be dangerous but that would be painful. Not to mention there was a chance he would be a crazed vampire during his new born stage. 

I knew I was laying down, or atleast I assumed I was because it was the last thing I was doing when I had been bitten. I couldn't see anything at all, like I was blind, all I could do was hear, sort of. 

"Her heart has stopped." I heard someone speak.

I couldn't place the voice because it spoke in slow motion so it was distorted. What was wrong with me? Then I remembered what the voice had said, my heart stopped. That meant I was either a vampire or I was dead.

The burning had stopped a minute after it began so I couldn't be a vampire. It took 3 days minimum to make a full change. So that meant that my body was trying to heal or something right? 

"She isn't breathing!" The voice was still slowed but somehow I recognized it. It was my mother. "She is dying, someone do something!"

"There is only one thing we can do, but even then it is a long shot. Her blood isn't like a humans, each cell is protected by venom itself, sort of like a shield. Her body will try rejecting the change as if it is a virus, if the change doesn't win she could die trying to fight it."

Great, so I was basically dying right now. 

"What do we do!"

"There is nothing we can do Bella, we just have to wait it out."

"You mean we have to wait to see if our daughter lives or dies! I can't just stand here and do nothing Edward!"

Now I knew who was talking, it was my mother and father.

"Carlisle, help us, tell us what to do!"

Suddenly it felt like something had jerked my body back from behind my navel. Then I could see again, only the perspective was different. I was staring at the scene from the outside. I was looking at myself.

Oh no, I was dead. My soul was unhinged from my body. I was no longer a living being.

"I can help." It was Nic who spoke this time. 

I watched him walk over to my body that lay on the ground and kneel beside it.

"You could die." My father said to him.

He shrugged his shoulders. "I'll survive, whenever I heal someone I take in their sickness but it is one-third of what it was after it enters my body. I'll survive it."

"You aren't too sure about that." my father challenged.

"Why are you trying to keep me from saving her. She is your flesh and blood."

"I'm not trying to keep you from saving her I am just letting you know that you don't have to risk your life. I understand that if we lose her, both her mother and I will be living with it for eternity but our conscience will be clean. "

"Edward...." My mother spoke. "What are you saying?"

"I'm saying, let fate play it out. Whatever happens, happens."

Nicholi shook his head. "No, screw fate, I refuse to live without her. I'd rather die." he said before he knelt over my body and placed his hands over my wound. 

His eyes closed and he hummed for a few moments before a green aura surrounded my body. At the same time my vision was altered by a green filter.

I watched as the aura grew brighter and brighter before a black orb came out of my wound. It floated through the air and entered into Nic. Then he began shaking before he fell onto his back, unconscious.

Jolt. 

Everything was black again. 

Days. Hours. Minutes. Seconds. A century could have passed by for all I know and I wouldn't know the difference.

Coughing, I opened my eyes and sat up. My hand shot straight down to wear Jamie had bit me just before I blacked out and the wound was gone. It was as if it never happened.

Then I remembered. 

Nic.

I turned to my left and sure enough he was there. I scrambled to my knees and pressed my ear to his chest. There was no heart beat at all.

He was gone...

I pulled him into my arms and I began crying.

"Why did you do this!" I screamed at him as I rocked him in my arms.

I couldn't believe it, he was dead. He risked his life for me and paid the ultimate price. 

"Renesmee." It was my mother.

She knelt beside me and attempted to pull me into her arms but I wouldn't let go of Nic's body. I couldn't, I just couldn't let go of him.

I thought of the first day we met. When he first asked my father for permission to court me. And the day he proposed to me. 

I felt foolish for saying no for one childish reason when I had a million reasons to say yes. Now I would never have him, I would never get the chance to call him my husband. 

My life was over now.

Several people joined us by now but I didn't care about them. All I cared about was the man in my arms. The war was over now, between the Volturi and our people. The Volturi were gone but we didn't go unscathed. We lost several of our own.

The twins, Sesi and Siku died. They were the only two from the Nanook tribe to pass. Embry, Collin and Brady from the Quileute wolf tribe were gone.  Wyatt, Aurora's mate passed. Along with Samara and Zelda. From our family I heard that a member of the Volturi caught up with Matthew and Rachel and killed them. 

But none of that mattered, at least for now. After I was done mourning Nic I would mourne our friends and my cousin.

"Nic.... Nicholi!" His mother Anne screamed.

She was at my side in seconds, dropping to her knees by my side. She took him from my arms and held him before she began stroking his face.

"My boy." She sobbed. "My sweet baby boy."

It took several hours before Anne let us move her sons body back into the house. He was laid on the bed in his room because I refused to let them cremate or bury his body. It pained me enough to know his heart wasn't beating but to bury him would make his death official. I was too selfish to live with that.

As far as I knew it he was still alive. At least to me.