Who?

Soon after the arrival of the Cromwell family we moved into the sitting room where we seccumbed to the sofas and couches and fell into conversation.

I sat back beside Nic while his mother explained in detail what happened after Tyler and Jamie had been turned.

The first couple of weeks into their newborn lives they were naturals at the vegetarian way of life -which is what Charles and Anne had decided on for them- Elk's were Jamie's favorite and Moose were Tylers.

Anne and Jamie spent alot of time shopping, over the internet, buying an entire new wardrobe that was fit for a future Queen. Charles and Tyler fell into conversations and plannings of sailing to countries all around the world.

All was going well until Anne began talking about last weeks hunting trip. 

At first mention Tyler jumped to his feet, gaining looks from everyone, and quickly walked out of the room.

"I got it." Charles said as he rose to his feet.

Anne got quickly to hers and placed her hand on his forearm. "No, love, let me talk to him."

Charles placed his hands on either side of her shoulders. "No, you have done enough for now. Let me handle this." he replied before disappearing after him.

Anne quickly took her seat and from the rigidness of her posture and the constant movements from Jamie I knew something was wrong here.

"Is anyone going to tell me whats wrong?" I asked after several long minutes of a unsettling silence.

Jamie looked at me and then to Anne before she nodded her head.

"We were hunting just yesterday," Anne began. "I was shadowing Jamie and Charles was shadowing Tyler. Everything was going well until the north winds picked up. The second the scent crossed my nose I knew something bad was going to happen."

"Was it a human?" I asked.

"Yes and no. There was a human present but there was another overwhelming smell that was a hundred times better."

Suddenly the memories of Nic telling me about our extraordinarily alluring scents flitted through my mind.

"The smell belonged to a hybrid. Half a second was all it took before Tyler's trajectory changed and in another sixteenth of a second he was gone. Charles took off after him while my attention was on Jamie."

"Did you?" I began only to have Jamie slowly shake her head.

"She knew that a smell that sweet and alluring meant bad news so she moved into a fetal position on the ground, locked her muscles in place and held her breath. Then I heard a scream and I took off running after Charles and Tyler."

I could feel my heart pounding in my chest as I expected to hear the worst.

"When I finally caught of with them Tyler was lunging towards the hybrid who was quick enough to divert both him and the young human girl out of the way. Charles was trying to talk Tyler out of his tyraid but nothing was getting through to him, so like any mother would do I made a move. Tyler turned on me and hit me so hard I broke through three trees before landing on my back."

I brought my hand to my mouth in shock as a slight gasp slipped through my lips.

"Luckily him hurting me brought him back to his rational self long enough for him to run back to the house with Charles. But it wasn't quick enough. The young girl that was with the hybrid had fallen against   a rock that broke her skull in two places. She was alive but barily."

"Oh my goodness."

"Then the wind picked up again and suddenly Jamie was there, the girl was in her arms and her teeth was deep in her neck sucking what little life she had left from her. Both me and the hybrid boy managed to get her off and subdue her until she regained mental control. Then he helped me escort her back to the house."