Ch-30 Birthday Gift

"Bye ma, I'm leaving," I hollered and grabbed her car keys.

"I thought your appointment wasn't until 11:30," she said as she came around the corner.

"It is at 11:30 but I was going to drop this card off for Cole. It's his birthday," I told her relentlessly because I know she thinks that if I talk to Cole once that he's forgiven again.

"Jessalynn I thought you were staying away from him for awhile," she reminded me.

"He's still the father of my baby boys and I want to be on good terms with him. I'm just going to drop it off and go," I explained hoping she wouldn't give me to much of a lecture.

"Tell him I said happy birthday," she said and ushered me out of the door.

"I will," I promised as I got in the car and drove to Carly's house. It doesn't look like Carly's home though.

I'll just stick the card in the door. I walked to the front door and went to stick the card in the door when it opened scaring me to no end.

"Jess," Cole said and I smiled handing him the card.

"Happy birthday Cole," I told him and turned around to walk away. Keep it short, simple and sweet.

"Where are you going?" He asked clearly wanting to talk more.

"To a doctors appointment. I have to go or I'll be late," I said and hurried to the car.

"Can I go with you?" He questioned.

"What? No," I shook my head feeling mean.

"As a birthday present?" He tried to convince me. I considered it for a second before shaking my head again.

"They're boring you don't wanna go," I shrugged and opened the car door.

"Please?" He begged and I seriously thought it through. I want him to come with me so just for once I'll know what it's like to not have people staring at you for being alone. I also want to give him another chance but I can't. This is not simple anymore darn it.

"Okay," I said and walked around to the passenger side. I'm not driving if I don't have too. He smiled wide and locked the door behind him.

"Let's take my truck," he suggested and made his way over to his lifted truck.

"How am I going to get in there? It's freaking 100 feet off of the ground," I pointed out. He opened the door and gestured for me to get in. "I'm going to kill you if I fall," I said in hostile tone. He grabbed my hand and helped me up. He unnecessarily groped my butt which I just pretended like I didn't notice.

"Look you didn't fall," he laughed and climbed in.

"Lucky for you," I said while getting comfortable and strapping my seat belt on. This was a huge mistake. I took a deep breath and leaned back, rubbing my belly.

I could tell he wanted to make conversation the whole car ride, as did I but we just couldn't find anything to say. Maybe this is a good time to talk to him about serious things because neither of us can run.

"You know those letters really hurt me," I mentioned and looked at his face to see his reaction.

He looked at me and sighed, "I'm sorry Jess," is all he said. I just stared out of the window watching the passing trees. "I know I'm the one who got you pregnant," he admitted and I rolled my eyes. Of course you are!

"Well if you ever doubted it, you should have told me instead talking shit with Emily behind my back," I said in a monotone voice.

"I know and that's why I apologized a hundred times to you. But you read the letters, Emily said most of it," he pointed out.