Chapter 14

Woo! Another chapter :D If this message is centered, then I have no clue as to why it is. Oh well.

<<------------ Vote :D

Comment! ^.^

Fan ---------> :)

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM IS WELCOME :D

Chapter 14

            Bam!

            I jumped in my sleep, waking up to a loud noise. Must be my mom or dad, I thought and then fell back asleep.

            Once again, I was rudely awakened not even ten minutes later.

            Bam!

            I jolted awake, sitting up right in my bed. Looking around I noticed it was still fairly dark in my room. I checked the clock; it read three in the morning. That was definitely not my dad; besides, he or my mom never goes into the kitchen in the middle of the night.

Glancing over at James who had his arm slung across my stomach, and I gently removed it. He groaned and I froze. “Anna? What’s wrong?” I heard his sleepy voice mumble.

            “Nothing, I just have to go use the bathroom,” I whispered, stroking the hair out of his hazel eyes that were clouded with sleep.

            He mumbled an okay and then fell back asleep. He must not have heard that noise, I thought. You’d think he would though.

            Quietly, I opened my bedroom door which was cracked open slightly. I could have sworn I closed it last night… I always close my bedroom door at night. I shrugged it off, thinking maybe my parents checked on us in the middle of the night. I can’t believe they still do that.

            On my way to the stairs I noticed my parents’ bedroom door was shut tight, confirming that one of my parents weren’t up and about in the kitchen. What is it then? Were we being robbed, or something? Standing at the top of the stairs I tried to see into the kitchen.

            BAM!

            I jumped, nearly toppling down the stairs, my heart racing in my chest from the sudden panic. The noise came from the back door. The thought of being robbed floated through my thought again. I shook that thought away, but didn’t rule it out. Maybe it was just an animal?

            Cautiously I made my way down the steps, all of my senses on high alert. Crouching down by the conveniently placed curio cabinet I peered around it to get a look at the back door.

            Behind the curtains I could barley see the shadow of a figure moving, trying to do something with the lock on the door. It was a man, I could tell that much. What if it was… no, it couldn’t be. He doesn’t know where I live, he can’t!

            Swallowing the rising panic, I took a closer look at the figure but jumped back when another loud bang sounded from the back door. I felt my heart thudding in my chest and I felt like it would burst. Why hasn’t anyone else woken up yet, like my dad?

            Slowly, I peered out from behind my hiding spot again. I had to hold in a scream of terror with what I saw next.

             Slowly, so slow you’d think it wasn’t moving, the back door was opening and someone’s black shoe was stepping into my house.

            I forced my self to hold back a scream and I held my breath. My heart was racing in my chest from the adrenaline that was coursing through my veins and I had no clue as to what I should do. There was a freaking stranger in my house! Adding onto that, James and my parents are still asleep!