Chapter 4

Okay, my uploads won be as frequent because Track season just started at my school and I joined, and practice is everyday until like 5:30 (school lets out at 4) for about 2 or 3 weeks so im going to be busy with that and all the homework I have. Just a warning. Well anyways, here the next chapter! Hope you like it!

Chapter 4

~James POV~

"Hey man," Nate said as he came up to me during 7th period Biology. "Seen the new girl, Ashley or whatever her name is?" He asked as he sat down.

"Anna, her names Anna." I told him. "And yeah, she's in my art class. She sits right across from me."

He looked at me surprised. "Seriously? You are so lucky. She is hot!” He said. 

I didn't like him calling her hot, and I un-intentionally growled at him. He looked at me confused for a moment before something clicked and he started grinning like an idiot. "No. Way." He grinned.

"No! She is not my mate!" I growled. She is not my mate. I cannot have a mate. 

He took a step back in shock and held his hands up in defense. "Whoa, no need to get defensive. You could have just said so." He said.

I looked down, angry at myself for snapping at my friend. "Sorry. Today's just been weird." 

"Nah, it’s okay. If she isn't your mate, then why'd you growl?" Nate asked, looking at me curiously.

I sighed and looked up at him, thinking. Why did I growl? I didn’t mean too. I just did it on accident. "You know, I don’t know. I just kind of did that on accident..." I told him truthfully. He nodded and then we both sat down as the Biology teacher came in, announcing for people to sit down and be quiet. Then he went into some long and boring lecture I didn’t care much for so I zoned out and let my mind wander. 

Unfortunately, thoughts of Anna crept into my mind, no matter how hard I try to keep them away. I scowled angrily at the desk I sat at. Why did she have to come here? Why did she have to sit right across from me? Am I being punished for something here? I don’t want her as a mate. Not that I don’t like her, I just cant have a mate. I don’t want to repeat that again...

I forced away those horrible thoughts and tried to focus on today’s lesson. The teacher was rambling on and on about how the human body works, I think. I sighed and slipped back out of focus, my mind going to, guess who? Anna. I groaned inwardly and shook my head clear.

Just then the bell rang and I shot up out of my seat, desperate to be away from the school, and away from Anna.

I practically ran outside and jumped into my black Mustang.  I sped out of the school parking lot, earning a lot of angry glares and honks, and a few people flicked me off. I didn’t mind much of it, knowing I deserved it and sped home. 

I pulled up into the driveway of Nate's house, where I live. I know, it's a little sad but my parents kicked me out for telling our secret to some human I really trusted. Big mistake. They kicked me out of the pack and apparently home because my younger brother locked all the doors and windows so I couldn't get in. Loving family, right?

I walked in and was greeted by Nate's older brother, Max, sitting on the couch with his mate, Rose. Max is 21 and he is home from college for the week with his girlfriend and mate, Rose who is also one of us, who he met at the college. "Hey James," Max greeted. "How was school?" 

I stared at him for a second. Did he really just ask that? Horrible. Confusing. Not fun. "Not good." Was all I said and then walked into the kitchen to grab a snack. I heard Max get off the couch, telling Rose he would be right back. 

"What’s wrong?" He asked when he walked in. I sighed and turned to look at him. What was wrong? Everything! I found my mate, and I don’t want one. Its killing me too, because I also want to be with her. I want to walk down the halls with her, and hold her hand. 

"Everything Max," I said shaking my head and leaning against the counter next to me.

He walked over to me and stood in front of me. "Like what?" He asked.

"Well..." I began. It's easy for me to tell stuff to Max. He's like the older brother I never had, and its quite nice. "There's this new girl at school..."

"And what about this girl...?" Max urged. 

"Ithinkshemightbemymate," I said, trying to rush through the words so he wont understand me easily. His face lit up when I spoke. Darn, didn’t speak fast enough...

"Really? Congrats! Does she know?" He said, slapping my back.

"I'm not sure if she knows. I don’t really want her to know..." I told him.

His face fell when I said that. "Why?" He asked completely confused.

I sighed. Why, is a very good question. "I guess I just don’t want things to end up like they did last time. I don’t want to be hurt again, or for her to get hurt because of me." I told him quietly. 

"But the things that happened with Jenny won’t happen again. She wasn’t your mate and we all knew that. You knew that. And if she is your mate, then she would want to be with you and no one else." Max told me. "Besides, we all know ignoring her wont last long at all. You want to be with her, right? Go on runs together and talk?"

I slowly nodded my head. "Yeah, I guess you're right. But what if-" 

"There are no 'what ifs' with this. It’s a yes/no situation. Just think about this for a minute. Think about her leaving and never coming back, or ignoring you for ignoring her or being mad at you for ignoring her." I did as he said. Honestly, I can’t imagine leaving her or her ignoring or being mad at me. It hurt too much to even think about, let alone live through even though I barely know her. 

"See? Can’t do it can you?" Max asked. 

"No, I guess you're right. I can’t even imagine it." I said. "I guess there’s really only one option isn’t there."

"Yeah, just one option." 

I looked up at him and smiled. "Thanks, man. You're like the older brother I never had." I told him.

He chuckled. "Yeah, and you're like the younger brother I never had, you aren’t annoying and being smart 24/7." We both laughed and headed out to the living room and I began forming a plan to get to Anna.

Anna my mate.