Charley's Friends

DEMI'S POV
"Be careful, Dems! We don't want another accident!" Shouts Marissa from the movie theater doors. They all gasp as a car drives by.

"You guys!" I shout at my friends, Marissa, Selena, Justin, and Wilmer. Wilmer smirks and kisses me good bye. I smile at him and jump into my limousine. I greet Max happily and switch on the radio. The song "Heart Attack" comes on from my most resent album. I smile and sing along.

"Won't wash my hair, then make 'em bounce like a basketball
But you make me wanna act like a girl
Paint my nails and wear high heels, yes you
Make me so nervous, that I just can't hold your hand
You make me glow,
But I cover up, won't let it show,
So I'm puttin' my defenses up
'Cause I don't wanna fall in love
If I ever did that, I think I'd have a heart attack
I think I'd have a heart attack
I think I'd have a heart attack"

Max begins to applaud. I smile at him and say,"Oh Max, it wasn't that good!"

"Oh, but it was, Miss. You are very talented and are a very lucky young lady. Your daughter must be very proud. Isn't her birthday coming up?" I almost forgot about Charley's birthday. I feel terrible for what I did to her this morning. I'll just have to have an amazing plan to make up for it.

I skim through Twitter for birthday ideas. Smiling widely, I begin planning for the best birthday ever.

ROBIN'S POV
I am mad at James for not letting us go see Charley. He thinks he's better than us just cause he got a bigger brain. I huff and decide to go release the Wrath of Robin on a preschooler.

I leave Mason and Noah to begin walking towards the tiny playground.

"Where are you going?" Asks Noah, walking behind me. "None of your beeswax! Buzz off!" I no longer hear his foot steps. I smile and confidently walk towards a tough looking four year old playing with a truck.

I run to the little boy and snatch away the truck. He starts to wail. I quickly lay on the ground, clutching my stomach, and make it seem as if he threw the toy at me. I begin to cry fake tears.

A teacher rushed over to us and I sense the eyes of a few other kids. She bends over and examines the scene.

"H-he threw h-his twuck at m-meeeee!" I whimper, trying to sound harmless and innocent. The lady scolds the kid and helps me up. I joyfully skip over to my friends who are watching in awe at the little preschooler.

"Why'd you do that?" asks James who has replaced Mason.

"Cause I wanted to!" I reply harshly. The bell rings and we all dash inside.

JAMES POV
I watch in amazement as Robin tortures the little boy. Shaking my head, I glance over to where Mason and Charley are. They don't seem to be talking. I sigh and look at Noah. He smiles and says,"Have you heard about the new truck coming out?" I shake my head,"It has these huuuuge...."  I block out my friend. To make it seem like I'm listening, I occasionally nod.

I think about how Charley acts. I want to find out how emotions work. I, being a foster child, almost understand Charley. No one knows I'm a foster kid. I have two "parents", as they say, one older, very rude "brother", two older "sisters", one younger "brother", and my twin sister. My twin sister doesn't go to school. I don't exactly know why. It may be that she was born with a disorder where she can't feel emotions, or maybe because she was born with one eye. I do live my sister, but she can be scary.

"Cool, right?" I nod at Noah and watch Robin parade happily towards us.

"Why'd you do that?" I ask, disgusted yet almost understanding why she did that.

"Cause I wanted to!" Robin screams at me. I feel like crying, but I don't. Instead, I walk inside because the bell just rang.

MASON'S POV
I walk back to the school, expecting Charley to follow me. I glance over my shoulder and see an empty playground. Where's Charley?

I decide that maybe she's somehow already inside. I run to catch up with my friends. Noah, as usual, is talking about some new toy he just got. James is silently listening and Robin is skipping around them.

I watch Robin and wonder what she's so happy about. Suddenly, I hear a loud thud. I jump and look around. A crackle of the intercom silences everyone.

"Is this thing on... Oh! Thank you! *clears throat* everyone, stay calm! There's a thunderstorm approaching, no need to worry! Please return to your classrooms and close all windows."

I look around for our new teacher. Mrs. Stuart is waving us towards her. I dash over into line and wait to be instructed back to class. My class lines up quickly and begins to walk back to our classroom.

When we stop, I half expect Charley to run into me, but I feel nothing. I glance over my shoulder and see Alice, a girl with black hair and a friendly smile.

"Where's Charley?" I whisper towards her. She shrugs and looks around.

I convince myself that she could already be in the classroom and continue walking. Once at the classroom, I sit down at my desk. Looking up for Charley's brown curls, I see an empty desk. Where is she?

I frown in confusion as my classmates enter one by one. Still, when everyone's in their seats I don't see Charley. I cautiously raise my hand.

"Yes, Mason?" Mrs. Stuart smiles and nods towards me.

"Where's Charley?" I ask, causing everyone to look at her desk. I hear murmurs and mumbling all around me as everyone notices that she isn't there.

"Quiet, please!" Mrs. Stuart says as she steps out the door. I look over at James who is staring out the window. I follow his gaze and see no one other than Charley. She's running across the street and towards where must be her home. I smile and secretly tell Robin and Noah where she is.

When Mrs. Stuart returns, I say,"Mrs., I heard from James that Charley went home because she wasn't feeling well." She sighs and looks happy. I turn around and give James a thumbs up. We're safe.

Hey everyone! If you need a cover for your story, please check out my newly published book called Cover Requests. Follow the steps for the perfect cover!
Don't forget to vote, share, and comment!