Cafeteria

Click on the photo^^^ to see the full picture

CHARLEY'S POV
I keep my eyes down for the rest of the morning. The teacher, Ms. Daskinal, is rude and hates me. My class giggles at me and points. The person behind me, a scraggly boy with black hair, won't quit kicking my chair. The morning drags on endlessly and I spend my time doodling on my note book and trying my best to do as the teacher says. It's finally lunch time.

I pull out my light green lunch box from my cubby with a picture of a swan and walk to the back of the line.

"Alphabetical order." Whispers a girl in front of me with blonde hair whispers. I nod and walk to my spot. But wait, I don't have a spot. I glance around and watch the children whispering and poking each other.

I ask a boy nearby what his last name is. I notice it's the boy with black hair. His last name is Karlile. I scoot in behind him and ask the person behind me what her last name is. Yep I'm in the right spot.

I fold my arms behind my back and follow silently behind the black haired boy. He suddenly stops and I run into him.

"Oh! I'm so sorry!" I whisper and look into his eyes. I lock my glance. He has mesmerizing brown eyes with tiny gold flecks.

"Just watch out, especially for Ms.. I didn't know you could talk. I'm Mason." I nod and carefully follow the line to the lunch room. My mind was sets to Mason and the blonde haired girl. The girl was kind and Mason was nice but a little rude. I look over this detail.

We finally arrive at the cafeteria where kids older than us sit. We're in kindergarten, so we sit at the very last table. Some kids go to buy lunch and the rest of us walk to the table. I look up and walk. I don't think this room is quite as bad as my classroom. I lift up my head and hope cautiously wanders into my head.

I walk confidently to our class table, finally seeing the bright side of school. I almost smile as I pass the third graders, but one sticks out their foot. I gasp in horror as I stumble to the ground, surrounded by the laughter of older kids and some teachers.

Tears prick my eyes as I grab my crutches and try to stand up. I slip on some milk and catch sight of familiar red hair and blue eyes.

Ariel.

"HA! WATCH OUT MILK MAID." I shake my head and try to get up. The nice girl from earlier sees me and walks over. She grabs my hand, pulls me up, and marches me to our table.

"Those meanies. I don't like Ariel Glaski. Are you okay?" I nod and wipe my eyes. I sit down and the blonde scoots next to me. I glance at her and she smiles a really pretty smile. I smile back, only slightly though.

"I knew it! I knew you could smile!" She giggles. I laugh a little with her until my stomach hurts. I quickly stop and check to make sure the hurt stops.

"Are you okay?" The girl asks. I nod and decide to eat. I pull out a peanut butter jelly sandwich, a container of watermelon, and an old fashion doughnut. I smile at yet another note from Demi.

"You're Charolette, right?" I shake my head and whisper,"Please just call me Charley." The girl nods and begins to eat her spaghetti.

"I'm Robin. Ms. Daskinal sure is terrible, isn't she?" I nod and widen my eyes. There is Mason. He walks with confidence past the whole cafeteria and waves at the third graders. The girls in kindergarten all stare at him as I do, everyone, that is, except Robin.

"Don't pay attention to Mason. I met him at McDonald's. He doesn't like French fries." I giggle and take a bite of my sandwich. My eyes widen again. I quickly spit the bite out into a napkin. Demi used hot sauce instead of jelly. I stick my tongue out and fan it frantically.

"What happened?" Asked Robin. "H-hot sauce..." I pant out. Robin throws me a confused look and just shrugs. I frown and reach for my water. It's not there. Demi packed me a hot sauce and peanut butter sandwich and forgot water. I feel like crying. My tongue burns.

Someone taps my shoulder. It's Mason. "Need some water?" He asks. I nod anxiously. Mason tosses me a water bottle and I eagerly take a gulp.

"Thank you." I whisper and wipe my mouth. "No problem. Is this seat taken?" He gestured towards the seat next to me and I shake my head.

Robin gapes at me. I look down at my food. Mason's shoulder is touching mine and it sends shivers down my back. I smile. This smile fades when all of Mason's friends, even some third graders, come to our table.

"Mason! My man!" Shouts the boy who tripped me. There is no doubt, Mason is a kindergarten legend. Mason high fives the boy and nods to the others.

The boys are really loud and are all doing disgusting things with their food. One of the third graders finally notices Robin and I and shouts, "Who are they?" Everyone stares at us. I see Robin's cheeks heating up and I look down.

"That's Charley, the one with brown hair, and the blonde I believe is called Robin." Replies Mason. "Wait, isn't that the girl Kaden tripped?" A boy asks while pointing at me. I look down again, trying not to cry.

"You did what?" Mason asks, his voice getting louder. Robin pipes up,"I saw it. Kaden Bleu tripped Charley and all of you were laughing, including Ariel Glaski."

The table goes silent and all the kindergarteners stare at us. I continue to stare at my food. "So what? She's puny and all that happened was she tripped over my foot and fell in some milk. Calm down, dude." Robin's eyebrows scrunch together and so do Mason's.

"No, that didn't happen. You stuck your foot out intentionally." Speaks up a kindergartener with blue eyes and blonde hair. He holds eye contact with me for a second and smiles. I smile back.

"Why'd you trip her?" Asks a curious boy with brown hair and hazel eyes. Kaden shrugs,"She's a new kid and looked puny. She was pretty helpless and was an easy target. It's not that much of a deal."

"Not a big deal?! You tripped my best friend in front of the whole third grade and ruined her outfit!!!" Shouts Robin. The third graders are shocked at this outburst. Then they begin to laugh.

"Calm down, Piper. You, Puny, and Jumpy James there sure are a strong band of friends, aren't you? Well, all of you can just go trip to hell and away from us." James just stares at his food, as do I, and Robin shoots an icy glare at Kaden. So does Mason.

"Don't. Insult. My. Friends." Mason says, I can tell he's trying to stay calm. Kaden holds up his hands,"Calm down, dude. It's not my fault they can't walk through the cafeteria without looking completely lost, scared, and helpless."

Robin's face turns red,"Shut up!" She screams. The cafeteria goes quiet and everyone, even the fifth graders, stare at us. Them they all laugh. Suddenly, Mason grabs my wrist and motions for James and Robin to follow.

The four of us walk, me being ushered with my crutches, outside to the playground. Mason stops in front of the side wall of the building and stares into my eyes.

"Are you okay?" He asks in a concerned voice. I nod and look down. Then Mason looks at James and Robin. "Are you guys okay?" He asks and they nod. Robin, though, looks like she's about to explode.

"Are we all really best friends?" James asks shyly. Mason nods,"Yes, thanks to Charley, we are."