54

Elizabeth could hear the sound of a soft beeping when she realized she had woken up.
Her hand was wrapped in a bandage, and she could feel a pain in her stomach.

She took a breath in, whimpering at the slight pain.

She fluttered her eyes open as someone picked up her good hand.
She opened her eyes to see Argent, who had purple rings under his eyes from exhaustion.

"Elizabeth?" He asked above a whisper.
She closed her eyes. "Where's Derek?"
"He's in the hall." He answered. "Open your eyes."
As she did so, Argent's eyes watered. "I am so sorry."
"I'm the one who jumped in front of the bullet." She whispered, swallowing. Her throat was dry, and it ached faintly.

"I know, but..."
She watched as he squeezed her hand. "I should've never brought you into this."
She said nothing as she looked towards the window, seeing Derek leaning against the wall. He was looking down the hall as she looked back to her father.

"I can forgive you if you promise me something." She whispered.
"What?" He asked.
"Don't kill Derek."
Argent stiffened. "Elizabeth - "
"He saved me." She told him. "He's saved me more than once, including the others. I could've died the night of the lacrosse game when I drowned."

Argent said nothing as her fingers wrapped around his.
"I love him, dad." She whispered.
Argent stared at her before smiling sadly, standing to his feet. He kissed her cheek before leaving.

She sighed, closing her eyes as tears formed.
She reopened them as someone grabbed her hand again. She sighed as Derek sat, staring at her.
"How do you feel?"
She smiled. "Like I've been shot."

He scoffed a chuckle at her sarcasm.
"I think I've been hanging around Stiles too much."
"I'd say so." Derek said, smiling crookedly.
She felt her chest ache. "Derek, I - "
"Why would you do that?" He asked.

She blinked.
"Why would you risk your life for mine?"
"Because you've risked yours for mine, multiple times." She answered.

Derek clenched his jaw. "I thought you were dead."
"I thought you were dead." She said.

Derek sighed at her stubbornness.

"How bad is it?" She asked, feeling the mild pain in her stomach.

Derek lifted the blanket, and moved her hospital gown up so she could see. She stared at the four inch long cut from where they stitched it.

"I survived." She said positively.
Derek sighed. "You survived."

Derek grabbed her hand in his, stroking his thumb over the yellow bruises that began to disappear on her good hand. "You could have died."
"I know."
He stared at her for a moment, and she didn't say anything.

Derek pressed his lips together for a second. "I heard what you said."
She looked back at him. "You did?"
He nodded.

She sighed. "I don't care that they hate you, Derek." She began. "You protect me in ways people can't, and your touch.."
She inhaled as he stroked her hand again.
"I don't care about your past and why they think you're a terrible person.. I... I love you."

Derek's eyes met hers, and he pursed his lips.
"I don't care that you're a few years older than me, because it doesn't change anything."

Derek stood to his feet, and Elizabeth thought for a split second that he was going to leave. Instead, he lowered his face to hers, pressing his lips to hers.
He held her face with one hand as the other held her hand, squeezing it gently.

"Feel free to say anything before I throw up from nerves." Elizabeth said, hearing him chuckle.
He pulled away enough to look into her eyes as he stroked her cheek.

"I love you, Elizabeth." He said, watching her smile. He pressed his lips to hers again, listening to the machine beep faster. They both laughed as he pulled away, resting his forehead to hers.

"I think you have some visitors." He said as he stood straight.

Stiles and Scott stood in the doorway, and she laughed. Stiles smiled before hugging her gently.
"Crap, the game is tonight!" Elizabeth said as she remembered the championships.
"Looks like you'll have to miss them." Scott said. "Don't worry, we'll video tape it."
"If we win." Stiles said.

"I have full faith in you idiots, just don't be wimps." She said with a sly smile. Stiles nodded as Scott laughed.

Scott wiggled his brows at her, and she looked toward Derek, who stood at the door, rolling his eyes.
"Shut up, McCall." He said, disappearing into the hallway.

"So, you're both finally in love?" Stiles asked.
"I guess you can say that." She replied.

After a second, she thought back to the night before.
"Wait, where's Jackson?"
"He disappeared." Scott answered. "And they found Matt's body in the lake."

She creased her brow. "And Gerard?"
"He paid me a visit this morning." Scott muttered.

"What does he want?"
Scott and Stiles looked at each other. "He wants Derek's pack."

As Derek left for a few hours to let Elizabeth get rest, he went through stacks of books, stopping as he turned to see Boyd, Erica.
"Who decided? When?"
"Tonight." Erica answered.
"Everyone's going to be at the game." Boyd mentioned. "And we figured it was the best time."
"It's not like we want to."

"What do you want?" Derek asked.
"Since I turned sixteen a few months ago I wouldn't mind getting my license. I can't do that if I'm dead, you know."
"Well I told you there was a price."

Boyd and Erica looked at each other.

"Yeah but you didn't say it'd be like this."
"Yeah but I told you how to survive." Derek shouted. "You do it as a pack. And you're not a pack, without an Alpha."

"We know."
Derek turned to them again. "You want to look for another pack. How are you even going to find one?"

"Think we already did."