Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four

Abbey’s anger clouded mind couldn’t think of anything other than how badly she wanted to kill Samantha. If that woman had harmed a single hair on her children’s head then Abbey would rip out her throat without a single moment of hesitation and that council, or her new Alpha, could punish her as they saw fit. They could put her to death if they chose but at least her children would be safe from that woman.

Thanks to her enhanced senses, Abbey could smell Samantha’s scent and Audrey and Tanner’s scents at the gas station just at the edge of town. Screams of shock filled the air when Abbey came loping into the station parking lot and let out a growl that reverberated off the vehicles and pumps.

Abbey’s eyes narrowed when she saw the truck. She saw her children in the backseat with their cousin Kyle in between them. She saw Samantha’s bed buddy Steve pumping gas but she didn’t see Samantha.

Marcus and Julian’s voices rang out behind her but Abbey ignored them. She could smell the prey. She came to a stop as the prey stepped out of the gas station. The drinks and snacks Samantha had had stacked precariously in her arms crashed against the pavement as Abbey stepped into her line of view.

Abbey’s wounds were burning terribly. Shifting had seemed to worsen them. She could feel fresh blood coating her fur and running down her left leg but she wasn’t going to let that stop her. She took one slow, stalking step toward her prey.

“A..abbey?” Samantha squeaked.

Abbey heard Julian, Marcus and Dawn’s footsteps come to a stop behind her, “Abbey, sweetheart, you gotta calm down and shift back now. The pups are fine. I can see them in the car and they’re fine.” Julian urged gently.

Abbey shook her head. Hunt and kill.

She felt Marcus‘s breath against her ear and she trembled with pleasure, “Come on now, little minx. This piece of trash isn’t worth losing you over. Those pups in that car need you. Julian and I need you. Just shift back now and we’ll go home.”

Abbey slowly felt her breathing begin to calm. She could hear Tanner and Audrey calling out for her from inside the car. They were scared because they were locked in and because she was bleeding. She had to be good for her children’s sake. She did not want them to see her like this and she certainly didn’t want them to see her kill someone.

She was aware of the eyes on her and was embarrassed to shift back with so many people around. She felt a hand in her fur and the euphoric sensation of it washed over her. She knew it was Julian without even looking.

“Come inside with me, Abbey.” She looked up at him and then looked toward her children still in the car and Steve standing beside it. Samantha was still standing frozen in the middle of the parking lot. “Dawn and Marcus will watch the pups.” Julian assured her and Marcus growled in agreement. “They won’t leave with them.”

Abbey nodded and then let Julian lead her inside. Her claws clicked noisily on the cheap tiles and the gazes of the shocked patrons buying chips and lottery tickets followed their movements.

Abbey took up much of the tiny bathroom they entered in her wolf form but she shifted back quickly, crying out in pain as she did so. Her shoulder felt as if it were ripping open all over again. When she felt the blood running over her breast and down her stomach Abbey knew that it had.

Julian drew in a quick breath as his gaze went to the source of her pain. He growled and rubbed at his face, “I should have killed him slower.”

“You sound like Marcus.”

“Well we are twins,” Julian replied, tracing his knuckle gently down her cheek. Abbey shivered as the cold air in this cement room seeped into her bare skin. Julian quickly pulled off his t-shirt which was still mostly clean and helped her into it. It hung down just past her butt and wouldn’t do much to keep her warm but it would have to be enough until she could find something more decent.