Chapter Six

Chapter Six

                The smell of burning flesh and fur filled the air as Julian stuck his brand tight against the hip of the struggling calf. The calf let out a wail of pain that hurt Julian’s ears. He hated this part of ranching but it was necessary. With so many cattle ranchers and so much open land out here having your cattle branded was the only way to help avoid unnecessary feuds and disagreements.

                He hopped back and Emmett, one of the ranch hands, quickly untied the calf’s legs and hopped away as well. The little calf got to wobbly feet, calling out for its mother, and Julian herded it into a corral with the other branded calves.

                He was on his way back to brand the next one in line when Marcus’s voice broke into his head, (You need to get to town now.)

                (I’m busy,) Julian informed him. (Some of us actually have to work.)

                (I’m working,) Marcus growled, clearly irritated. Julian was irritated too. His borhter had just taken off this morning with no explanation as to where he was going.

                (Why do you need me to get to town? And what are you doing in town?)  Julian asked as he handed another hand the branding iron and launched himself over the fence.

                (I found something on Abbey’s truck.)

                Hearing Abbey’s name had Julian’s body filing with need. The need to be near her, smell her scent, touch her body, have her close to him, (So that’s what you’re doing. Working on her truck?)

                (Yes. I’m the best mechanic around and I wanted t make sure it was fuckin’ safe. Now can you get your ass to town or not?)

                (Thought you didn’t care about her or the children?)  Julian asked with amusement as he jogged to the truck parked under the shed beside the house.

                (Go to hell, Julian.)

                (What did you find on her truck that’s got your fur in such a knot?)

                (A tracking device. Someone is tracking our mate.)

                Julian jumped into the truck and slammed the door with one hand as he started it with the other, (Don’t let her out of your sight, Marcus.)

                (I’m not a complete idiot, Julian, I’m looking at her right now. She’s in the diner talking to Marcy about a job.  You don’t have to worry. I won’t let a goddamn thing happen to our mate and children.)

                (Don’t talk to her about it until I get there,) Julian warned. (You’re scary when you get this upset.)

                (Scary?) Marcus questioned with a smile in his voice. (I’m the nicest fuckin’ person anyone could every hope to meet. Why on earth would anyone be scared of me?)

                (Just leave her alone until I get there,) Julian warned again and then he closed the link, threw the truck in drive and sped off, slinging gravel and dust behind him.

***

                Joseph was pacing by the phone and hoping his brother would call soon. He picked up a bottle of liquor and was disappointed when there was only a single swallow left.