Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Marcus growled low in his throat as he paced back and forth in front of the cook stove in the tiny one room shack. He had already gotten the fire burning hot in the stove and it had quickly done away with the frigid coldness that had been in the air inside the rickety building.

                Those two pups were sound asleep in the corner, curled up together like a couple of …. Well like a couple of puppies. Julian was sitting beside the woman who was still unconscious on the tattered single bed.  

                When Julian had asked those kids what their mommy’s name was they had replied with ‘mommy’.  Kids were annoying and Marcus doubted that the woman went by ‘mommy’ in social circles.

Marcus rolled his shoulder and popped his knuckles. He didn’t do cooped up well. He didn’t do worrying well. He didn’t like knowing he was worrying about a damn woman that he didn’t even know! Stupid mate business. He planned on shipping her the hell out of Wyoming just as quickly as he could get Julian to see the light and agree to it.

                Julian was more of the hopeless romantic type and would probably be happy to have found their mate. Marcus on the other hand was a different woman every night and sowing his wild oats type He sure as hell didn’t have any bit of interest in having an insta-family complete with mate and kids.

                It had been his plan to drop them all off at the hospital and forget about them but the closest ER was nearly two hours away and their tiny clinic in town didn’t open until nine in the morning.  Life seemed to be conspiring against him at the moment.

                “Marcus, fill a bucket with a bit of snow to melt so I can clean her face off,” Julian whispered, pulling Marcus out of his thoughts.

                Marcus grumbled under his breath, grabbed a metal bucket from beside the door and put his hand on the door knob. Then he turned to glare at his brother, “We’re not keeping them,” Marcus warned. Julian simply continued to stroke the woman’s brunette hair and gaze at her longingly.

                Marcus threw the door open with so much force he nearly broke the hinges before closing it more quietly. The last thing he needed was to wake up those damn pups and have them wanting to ‘ride the doggy’ again. Honestly! He hadn’t been confused with a dog in wolf form since he’d been fourteen and made his first shift.

                Marcus cursed the wind that seemed to cut straight through his scratchy wool shirt and Carrhart pants and filled the bucket up with pure white snow. The sky was beginning to lighten a bit as dawn approached. Marcus raised his nose then and scented the air. He and Julian always had to be cautious, always had to be on guard. This was their territory. Fifty square miles of land that was their own….. But packs had no respect for rogues and neither did other rogues. While he and Julian were a little more secure because there were two of them it still did not mean that they were safe.

                Never safe.