Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

                Abbey woke the next morning to the sound of an alarm clock and after showering and dressing herself,(thankfully she had a turtle neck to hide the mark that Marcus had placed upon her neck the day before... though everyone she'd seen in town the day before had already seen it), she woke Audrey. Today was the girls first day of first grade in her new school. Abbey was going to drive her to school and see about getting a job at the diner. She was fairly certain that the brothers didn't want her working but she had lived too long at the mercy of a man and she wanted to feel as if she could do something for herself. Regardless of whether she agreed to fully mate to the brothers or not she still wanted to have something that was hers, some form of independence.

                "Mommy, I'm sleepy," Audrey whined as Abbey led her into the kitchen to get her some breakfast. The house seemed quiet and empty but Abbey knew that Julian and Marcus would know they were awake.

                "I know you are but just think! You get to start school today and make some friends," Abbey said happily, hoping to spark her daughter's interest.

                It seemed to work and Audrey was smiling as Abbey poured her a bowl of the fruity cereal that Julian had purchased in town the day before.

                "What about Tanner?" Audrey asked.

                "Marcus and Julian are going to keep an eye on him today," Abbey replied. She didn't like depending on them for childcare but there was no other choice. She couldn't very well chase a four year old while she worked and the school in town was too small to have a preschool.

                "I think they're still sleeping," Audrey stated before shoving a big bite of cereal into her mouth. Abbey nodded as she glanced at the clock. It was six-thirty in the morning and it did seem that everyone was still asleep. Weren't ranchers supposed to be up with the dawn? Of course Julian had told her over dinner the night before that the hands would all be showing up around seven to start their work day so maybe that's about the time Marcus and Julian would normally wake up.

                Abbey bit her lip. She couldn't leave without making sure one of them was up to take care of Tanner, "I'll be right back," she told her daughter before kissing her hair and leaving the room.

                She wasn't sure what possessed her to choose Marcus. She truly didn't put any thought at all into where her feet were carrying her as she went straight to Marcus's door and walked on in as if she belonged there. It wasn't until Abbey was standing beside his bed staring at the lump completely engulfed in a thick black comforter that she realized where she was.

                For a moment Abbey considered making a run for it. Perhaps he didn't know she was here..... then the covers moved and she heard the unmistakable sound of Marcus growling, "There's not much I wake up before dawn for, Abbey, are you here to make it worth it?"

                Abbey opened and then quickly closed her mouth several times trying to think of what to say. A deep rumbling came from beneath that soft black blanket Marcus was wrapped in and Abbey realized he was laughing at her, "I.. I only wanted to make sure you were awake because I'm getting ready to leave..."

                "I'm awake and I'll take care of Tanner. Now either get the hell out of my room or get the hell into my bed. I'd prefer the second one but I'm sure you'll do the first, especially after you hear that I sleep naked."

                Abbey's eyes widened and with a squeak she left the room and stood panting in the hallway. Abbey had no idea how to respond to teasing like that! Joseph had never teased her, never flirted, never joked or laughed with her. Would Abbey ever be comfortable enough to simply relax and let herself enjoy the way Marcus was with her?